Are MH's really necessary?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by evojoe67, Feb 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Keep the Kidney. Arms and Legs are where the real cash is at these days.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Man if you are already pinching pennies now then I think you need to reevaluate your choices in hobbies. :-/

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Especially with a 210.

1 person likes this.
  5. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

$400.00 electric bill, that's not just your tank. You have electric heat, water tank, dryer, etc.... Essecially on hot water tanks, most people have them set very high. All this does is use more electric or gas and cuts your tanks life span. They also sell wrapping that keeps your tank's heat in better (which btw I have on mine). Also, on dryer, clean or replace your vent hose. If there is build up, it takes longer for your cloths to dry, due to the fact that it's not venting the steam it's producing & it's staying in the dryer.

How long are you MH running? I'd probably change you MH timer, so they are on a little less. Also, I'd setup if not already having the lighting on when you are home. It's pointless having them on when you're not. For example, You're at work, they are on, you come home, 2 hours later they turn off, but you're still up for another 4 hrs...

Also, they sell equipment that will monitor your electric meter. So you can see when your usage is high.. I have one at my apartment, that I have not finished moving over to my girls house.. I'll get you the mfg...

Just trying to help.. ;D

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

agreed...find the most efficeint sched for your lighting...and also, something else is the cause for this high energy bill of yours.
    my bill went down this month? Just pay'n attention to whats running.
    But most everything on the tank runs at very low amperage..granted MH do hit the hardest...but no significant raise in energy cost at my house with 55 gallon tank running all the toys.
    LG

8. Click Here!

9. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

You need deep penetration

10. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

This post scares me;D

11. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

The $400.00 bill is in the winter. In the summer i get $ 700.00 bills!!
    Granted it's not the tank that is killing us but i'm looking to conserve where i can. I've got a 3000sf home with 20 foot ceilings so i understand this is an expensive home to run.

Thanks to all for your advice.

12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Its your high ceilings. All your heat and air and money is going to the ceiling. Cutting the time of the MH bulbs will save you very minimal. You have 3 250 watt bulbs so you may save a little more than that.