Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

/shrug... I have a total of 6 ecotech pumps that I have had all of for over a year and never had a single issue. Been through 3 koralia in the same time period and had to rebuild my tunzes every year when I ran them.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Matt I would talk with your dad about saving for the pumps. In 13 years of reefing flow is the hardest aspect of reefkeeping for me to understand. I tried several korilias, fancy return flow designs, and even sicce pumps controlled off a Reef Angel as a random wave maker. In the end, Ecotech met my demands. I have three vortech pumps, and three Radion led lights. If these guys had a skimmer, I would probably have that as well.
    There is something to be said for having something that works amazingly well with little to no work.

1 person likes this.
  4. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I read you need at least 6-10 times gph of your total water volume which is 2650 gph. the pump is a reeflo and the reason is because I want to get a lot of current out of it and it has very good reviews and warranty. It's range is 3600-4300 gph

5. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

That is a very nice room! Have you had a tank there before? How well insulated I that room? Do you think heat or cold will be an issue in the room? If that I your entrance to you house that is a great welcome to all visitors! Can't wait to see it get going. I don't want a debate so bottom line, If you have the money do it, people have been growing great beautiful SPS tanks way before the MPs and continue to do so to this day. Flow is very important do not discredit that, just know you have options they are not the only way your going to achieve a beautiful thriving SPS tank though.

6. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

it used to be a screened in porch. We turned it into a sun room when we built the pool you can kinda see out the window. The windows are tinted and it is insulated. It has it's own thermostat and the carpet is indoor/outdoor. Noise won't be a problem because this room has its own sealed door connected to the living room and my parents bedroom. the only problem i think will be light and maybe heat. I may have to get shades for some of the windows, but sun only shines through in the morning so it may not be an issue. Since it is a modified room there are still windows into the living room which is a little odd but, you will be able to see the tank from two rooms.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have a good bit of ambient light that hits my tank and I haven't noticed any negatives. The corner even gets direct sunlight part of the year. Heat.. well that could be an issue. But with fans or a chiller depending on how big of an issue, it's not the end of the world. That's going to be an awesome room when ya'll get it all together. Great looking backyard, awesome tank and the pool out back! When's the party!

8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

lol yeah my mom and dad love Plantations so our house is meant to look like one. The pool area is styled to look like a french quarter courtyard. the whole house is a really southern preppy look and I like it 8) the stand and hood have to be white no matter what though lol. Also great thing during hurricanes this is the room we put an A/c in. because it's sealed from the rest of the house

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Paint the trim on the tank to match if you can see it. It's going to look great!

11. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Perfect seems the major issues are covered. Pics couldn't tell me everything you did. I've seen rooms like yours that were not temp controlled that's why I asked. You'll be fine with what you stated. Just remember reef keeping is like any other hobby, people have their own opinions, so make your own pro/con list then decide. Some people have tanks they have never done a water change on and tank is great, where as I do one every two weeks. Some people never used a skimmer where I feel they are vital. Are they wrong and I'm right, of course not, as long as they are happy and everything is healthy GREAT! These types of things people will disagree, where as I someone asked if they can keep a horse shoe crab in a 5 gallon pico EVERYONE will agree the answer is NO!

12. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Oh yes I understand. Btw in Louisiana everything has to be temperature controlled unless you want it to go to the pits lol(humidity it's the silent killer) there is a hose line right out of the door on the patio area i wonder if I could maybe use it for the R/O system somehow.....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012