Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

To be fair, I have very high expectations when it comes to reefing. So, my opinions are swayed by my goals for perfection. But, flow is not something to be discredited. It's equally as important as filtration or lighting at a minimum.

2. Click Here!

3. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Well my priorities are Lights,filtration(which i think I have figured out), flow...I am still not sure what to do, information has been very helpful, but also makes it more difficult lol, and aesthetics are a personal thing that i will have to figure out on my own. I can take a picture of the room to show y'all why it has to be aesthetically appealing if y'all want? I'm sure y'all may have some ideas to help ;)

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yes, yes, pictures, please! :D

I think aesthetics are almost always an important aspect of reefing (maybe it's the artist in me), though in some cases, more-so than others.

5. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

I never said flow wasn't important, how you achieve that flow doesn't matter. The ecotech doesn't create magic flow, it greats a lot of flow w fewer power heads. Whether you use 6 korellias or 2 mps doesn't matter. So if lighting isn't important your essentially saying Hey throw a bunch of 100 watt florescent bulbs over the tank cause hey light is light. No, it differs. I never said he doesn't need high flow, I'm saying how he achieves that high flow doesn't matter.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Matt, is there any particular reason for such a large return pump?

7. mikev15101

Another tip, try to find local reefer with them on their tank. I've read on this forum about a person replacing their dry side 3+times. For something of that expense that is far to many times. Also I see a lot of these going up for sale because of the complaints of high noise. People say they have to keep them below 80 percent power to keep the noise down. I personally wouldnt buy them if I couldn't use them at full power. BUT noise is a personal opinion, whats loud to me may not be to you. So I you can hear someone's in action at 100 percent that will allow you to see if it's for you.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The flow difference would be compared to spectrum in the lighting world. Sure you can create tons of light in many ways, but if it's not the right light it doesn't matter. Vortechs are very good at creating a very specific type of flow that does make a difference. Broad chaotic flow. As opposed to koralia's narrow laminar flow. And that makes all the difference in the world. And they can do it with less power draw, less distraction in the tank and less heat exchange. And no number of koralias will be able to get the flow patterns that are achieved with ease using vortechs. 2 vortechs working together is pretty close to "magic" flow. I have used many different flow option and none have come close to what I have achieved with vortechs.

Now, if you get one vortech.. they are a lot like any other pump with just a broader flow. But with them working together it's an amazing tool for a sps tank.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Biocube is that person. And it cost him nothing because of ecotech service and since then has purchased another one despite that issue. I think that speaks volumes.

11. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

[[​IMG][​IMG] the first picture is where the tank would go. My mom designed this room so my dad and i cannot make it ugly lol the room looks a lot narrower in these pictures for some reason

12. mikev15101

It cost nothing money wise, inconvenience PRICELESS.