Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Personally I like both Tunze and Ecotech powerheads. They each have the pros and cons. We know you are planning to go SPS however, if I was recomending I would also take a lot of other things into account.
    I guess it comes down to personal choice on what is important to you. Depending on how you rank the following: flow, adjustability, customer service, reliablitiy, and noise should determin what is the best choice for you. How do you rank these?
    Is your tank glass or acrylic?
    Is the tank taller or wider? Usually a 210 is rougly 72l x 24w x 30t, 72l x 30w x 24t, 72l x 27w x 27t.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

My thoughts exactly. They're not at all "dangerous" if installed properly.

You can buy a 12 pack of these from Ecotech for $6. Home Depot sells something quite similar.
    [​IMG]

I highly doubt you couldn't manage to put a little 1" square sticker near the cord exit on the dry side to keep them from falling; see above. If the dry side is secure, there's no real need to go modding anything...

Back on track.

OP, I use 2 MP40s and 2 MP10s on a 60x18x26 tank. 3-4 MP40s is really what you need.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

you can't use mp10s on the tanks you have talked about getting. The glass is to thick.

But yes, they are definitely worth it. Amazing pumps.

5. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I don't have anything yet besides the 55gal tank i would make into the Refugium. I am in the planning stages still and will be for a while probably. 72l x 24w x 30t these are the dimensions for the 210. We may go with a 180 if we can get it for cheaper. The absolute largest would be 250 gal most likely(unless we find something super spectacular that is larger and same price) although size is no issue where we are putting it...if we wanted we could probably fit a 750 gal. We want glass

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

If the glass is over a 1/2" thick, then I agree with you. Yes, Ecotech says they'll only work on 3/8" thick glass or less, but they typically still hold on 1/2" glass; albeit rather weak.

1 person likes this.
  7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble on my 210 with my mp10s. It would work well for a while but then fall off unexpectedly and I feel I lost a good bit of the power.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Good to know i was thinking mp40s, but my dad I know was thinking of mp10s so that should help a lot.

10. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

I myself use korellia 1400s I find them to be great. Put it this way, if you have the money get them. If you are dipping out of your overall reef budget and forced to go cheaper in other areas skip them. Don't skimp on your skimmer and lights and other equipment just for these. Moving water is moving water. IMO. Cheap lights do not provide the benefits of higher prices quality lights. A cheap crappy skimmer will not perform as well as a higher priced quality skimmer. I mean I can go buy a $10,000 9 foot flat screen tv because I have the money when a $400 42 in will do the same functions as the higher priced.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I completely and passionately disagree. Water movement is more important than lighting if you want SPS. Lighting is pretty easy to hit overall but you can get adequate lighting easier than you can get adequate flow. Flow is the x-factor in a SPS tank. If you are going lps and softies. I agree. But for NPS or SPS, water flow is on an equal pedestal to filtration or lighting at a minimum if not more important.

12. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

lol this is too much to think about. I guess though when we were growing corals (sps and lps) they didn't have ecotech or leds and we made due so I see what mike is saying, but if it makes it easier to cultivate and less problematic in the long run, than I think its worth it. Also since aesthetics are important to this set up probably I will go with vortechs. my mom hates loose equipment and all the cords and stuff. I kinda hate it as well...I'm a little OCD about that kinda thing