Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Is there any reason to control them by a controller instead or in union with the standard driver?

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You just need to do soem research on Vortech and Apex. So you understand how they work and what the feature are you are getting.

Vortech have their own driver that runs the modes. Reefcrest, nutrient export...ect. You use the driver to set what mode to use.

Apex has a wirless module the WMX. It communicates with the Vortech driver. But the biggie is the Apex can tell the driver what when and how to do it and it can do it every minute if you want instead of just setting the mode for the day with the driver. You build profiles of what you want the driver to do then when ever you want you have apex run profile one, then 3 then 6 then 2 then .... what ever you can dream up. It is an awesome feature.

4. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Do any of these wave action, pulsating, or staggered modes help with coral growth?

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yes.. Chaotic random water movement is extremely important. That's what vortech does better than anyone else...

6. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I figured it would because of wave action and natural current. I wonder how well they replicate real water movement.....

7. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

very well. If you go to Youtube you can see a lot of demos with vortechs in empty aquariums.

This gives you the chance to see the wave action, or reef crests.

I love the reef crest mode ... completely random flow, switching between calm and chaotic randomly throughout the day.

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

+1 on this. I absolutely love the reef crest mode for its random and chaotic flow. I also love the nutrient export mode for right after feedings.

10. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Good to know. I guess if I get vortechs I should get a apex controller instead of a Digital Aquatics like I was thinking of getting. If I get an apex controller should I get the new Controlled reefbreeders or the regular non controlled ones. Are reefbreeders and apex controllers compatible?