Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Good to know.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yes, but not with the wireless module using all the modes. I know you know that, but it is an important distinction. EcoTech released the wireless module to Neptune and they control the Vortechs directly with all their usability. If DA does the same for Tunze and Tunze has caught up with some better modes of use, then that is cool. But as far as I know, you can only use Tunze with Apex on the controllable out lets like you can any controlable thing like lights... just power 1-100%.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I didn't know that tunzes had modes beyond ramp ups and downs. It's been a LONG time since I have used a tunze product. And yes, wireless modularity would be very important too me. I didn't know tunze's offered either.

5. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Can you control vortech's with a digital aquatics controller?

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Oh, and I don't either. I assumed they have tried to catch up, but I have no idea what the Tunze controller does that you hook the Stream pumps up to. I knew you could run Stream pumps on the 4 controllable outlets od a Apex. I don't keep up on DA and didn't know if the RK did anything like Apex does since they went with DA.

Pump for pump the Ecotech and Tunze pumps are quality pumps from quality companies. But Vortechs controllability and modes is a step above, and the fact that you can control them with an Apex through the wireless module is even better. Tunze and Reek Keeper have catching up to do in that area. Ecotech gave their wireless board to DA as well but they never perused it. Shame... the Apex/Vortech pair are simply in a league of their own.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

And the foot print in tank of the vortech is much less...

ON the tunze, I don't see anything I could replicate using code in the apex.

TUNZE GmbH High-Tech Aquarium Technology: Catalog

8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

So you can control a Vortech with Digital Aquatics, but you do not have the control like an Apex?

10. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

No, you can't control a vortech with anything but an Apex. And after doing some research you can do everything with a tunze on an apex as well.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

You can control them with a Reef Angel as well. I think there are a couple other higher end controlers as well.