Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Depends on the tank. Mostly the seams. You want to get one that's not more than a few years old and you want to see the stand it's sat on. It's a scary proposition IMO. Especially if you don't know what you are looking for.

2. Click Here!

3. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I see what you are meaning now. Each of these parameters is going to affect each of our tanks differently, and to different degrees. I see you guys from the southern states always talking about power consumption and energy savings. For me personally, its moot simply because electricity here in Manitoba is extremely cheap. I'm not sure if its still the case, but I know a year ago we had the cheapest electricity rate in all of North America

When I hear about how a reef affects the monthly electricity bill of reefers in California I cringe ... I didn't even see a change in mine after installing my reef.

Heat is the other one that will affect me and the OP much differently. I'm in Northern Manitoba in Canada ... he's in the Southern tip of the USA ... slightly different climates to account for lol.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Which brings up another good point when it comes to reefing and getting info on the web.... some many times people just say this is good or this is bad, with out zero information and context. It matters. You have to look at apples and apples. I can go on and on about power use... and maybe some just really does not care. Sure he is using a ton, it costs a ton, he using more on a chiller to compensate... and at the end of the day just does not care about money. Not all of us can be so fortunate. :)

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks Bud, I should get to work. :)

6. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

power consumption isn't really an issue unless we add a chiller. A Chiller will use as much electricity as a A/C which will affect the bills.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It should be. Watts are watts. Does not matter what is using them. My 90g added $25 to my electric bill and I do have cheap rates. So double that for a 200g, and I had a low power system with good skimmer, return pump, and MP40s. No chiller needed after I got it worked out.

After everything is added up, my tank cost me $100 a month. Not the end of the world, but a bill none the less. When bills take all your money, you can't buy as many toys. :)

8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Well i'm not saying the other items do not draw power, but in comparison a 1/2 horsepower chiller is 375 watts while with my quick calculations the whole tank would use a little over 500 watts. For one piece of the puzzle roughly draws 125 watts less then the entire tank. So overall it is the most energy using component and if I could avoid it, it would save the most money.

10. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I see some of you recommend tunze powerheads, others do not. I have read very mixed reviews on them. What do y'all think?

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've never had any personal experience with their powerheads, but have read nothing but positive reviews about them. For a lot of people, it comes down to what controller you plan on using (if any). EcoTech is partnered with Apex and allows for controllability through a separate module. Tunze is with Digital Aquatics and offers the same type of control.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

You can use tunze on an apex as well. they have 0-10v control.