Are Ecotech Marine Powerheads worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mattb57, Sep 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya so, you can do anything you want. Used to be return pumps were the only flow, and the water had to go through the biological filter... so we got that you needed to turn he tank over so many times an hour through the filter. But now the LR is the filter and the sump does not need flow and power heads are much better for flow.

Closed loops take out the one thing that kills you using a return pumps for flow... gravity. A "closed" loop means that the suction is attached to the same container you are pumping to... therefore you have no head pressure to pumps against. The suction head equals the discharge head so it is a net zero. However, you still have a lot of loss from all the 90s and related piping. It adds a level of complexity to the build and potential for leaks.

To get a pump that will put out 3000 actual GPH in a closed loop takes a honkin pump and a lot of watts. Compare that to a MP40 and it isn't even close. Not to mention you then have to aim the flow and do something with it, and compared to how you can control the flow of a MP40 and it isn't even in the same solar system. If you add up the costs of a closed loop, and then throw in a some flow switchers... I forget the name... then it can be as much or more than Vortech setups.

Now I am not saying not to do a closed loop. I personally would have a hard time justifying one based on what I feel is important. But, there are a lot of good examples of closed loops out there and they work really well for what they wanted. Heck, sometimes people just like to be different and that's cool too.

But with everything, you have to crunch the numbers. What are the setup costs, and what are the operating costs, and what do those costs give you over all. When you crutch the numbers and abilities, power heads beat anything for flow... even though some hate the aesthetics. And when you look at powerheads...even though Vortechs (or Tunzes) are more expensive, the abilities and quality they give you are second to none. In that respect, they are priceless... but obviously we all have budget constraints and you can still accomplish what you "need" for less.

To say what is being left out... powerheads have no piping losses and no gravity to pump against. Every watt is used to move water. Closed loops have piping loss, and return pumps have piping loss and gravity to overcome... HUGE loss.

2. Click Here!

3. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

So closed loops pretty much only are effective in larger setups?

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Cost effective.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'll let FOD explain what he meant by that, I do not necessarily agree. What is different in big tanks is distance. What MP40s do so well is give a broad flow pattern, but they do not do that over a long distance. Tunze Streams are named that for that very reason... they are a much narrower flow pattern and can move water over longer distances.

In that respect closed loops can give you some very directed flows to move water over longer distances especially if you use high pressure pumps. Grim was looking at using a closed loop to power eductors that would increase the flow which is interesting if you are trying to move water over a long 6-8 foot tank.

MP60s are really the next step for long tanks and why Vortech came out with them.

But ya... in smaller tanks you do not have the need to cover such long distances and high pressure closed loops loose their usefulness.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

That sums up what I was saying. Your main concerns were cost and heat...and on a 210 gallon, a closed loop would make less sense than multiple powerheads (good ones).

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yeah, a lot of us end up with extra equipment over the years so sometimes you just need a little plumbing and you are there. I have thought about putting one in my 40b, just because all I need is a hole. But, when I start comparing the power draw, heat and leak potential.. Meh.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I started working on a big "flow" article, but life got in the way. I really need to finish it since this is such a regular topic for discussion and sort of near and dear to my heart since it is what I do daily.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

From this day forward you shall be known as PowerflowMan.Make it so.LOL;);D

11. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Good one. Is buying a used tank from craigslist a good idea or does it depend? Or should I avoid it like the plague?

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Used tanks always make me cringe.It is probably the only piece I recommend people not penny pinch.