are coral banded shrimps aggressive....

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by cnunez3024, Mar 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Mine also. I have 5 peppermints, 2 skunks, 1 fire. and they all stay really in their own area. Although, its fun to watch the CBS hang upsidedown in his overhang areas, and if a fish comes by,, his comes out real fast and scares them. Doesn't nip or pinch them. Hes just like screwing with them I guess. He's a reall wise a$$ I guess...

2. Click Here!

3. FirstOverboard

FirstOverboard Plankton

I started freaking out when i noticed fish randomly floating around my tank all torn up and trying to swim. i actually got rid of a few blenny-type fish because i originally thought they might be the culprits but then i saw it... my banded coral shrimp would wait silently, arms wide for a fish to swim by and then LUNGE AT IT. i had to get rid of him...he had become very aggressive. no more dead fish now.

4. Nea

Nea Flamingo Tongue

yep CBS are aggressive. Ours killed a peppermint shrimp and would snap at our chromis when they got too close to her.

She's in our 125 now and seems mush happy, I think she likes to have her own space.

5. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Hit or miss with most inverts, but fairly likely to obliterate any other ornamental shrimp in your tank unless it is very large. I have heard rumors that the golden/Hawaiian CBS tend to be less aggro then the common red/white and that keeping a mated pair will reduce the chances of a rampage.

My lone experience with a CBS was him going in, promptly murdering several hermits and snails for no good reason before being pulled out and returned for credit.

6. jartater

jartater Plankton

aggressive coral banded shrimp

My CBS ate my firefish! The CBS had the firefish's body and was munching away when I checked on the tank this morning! :eek: I had never had this happen before, so it was a very unpleasant surprise! I think I'll be taking the shrimp back to the store! The firefish was healthy and had no problems until the shrimp ate him! grrrr.....

7. bherbst

bherbst Astrea Snail

They can be very aggresive, mine cut one of the legs of of my blue starfish. Lately my coral banded shrimp has been calm, and I havent had anymore problems with him.