Aqueon 36 gal Bowfront

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by bwahaha, Jan 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bwahaha

bwahaha Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ooh yes, I think that's what it is. Pictures on the web certainly look a lot like it. Do I manually remove it? There's quite a bit of the stuff. Or would species of snail eat at it? I probably shouldn't add any more livestock yet though lol.

2. Click Here!

3. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Yes manually remove it, and cut your lighting down to a few hours a day. You don't really need it on much right now anyway. What lighting are you using again? Also what are you running through your filter anything?

4. bwahaha

Okay, I'll do that. I'm just using the lighting that came with it until I can afford better lighting to house corals and such, I've read that it's better to introduce those into an established aquarium anyway. I'm running the Eheim 2217 with the filter media it came with (2 types of media) and the coarse particle remover, fine particle remover and carbon pad. Should I take the carbon pad out?

5. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

No its doing its job. Best thing for algae control is running gfo. Anyway just keep up with water changes and don't let the algae get out of hand early and you are set. Good luck post update pics when you get some more livestock.

6. bwahaha

Definitely. So i'll just keep doing water changes and taking out the algae until my tank is cycled then get a fish?

7. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Yes pretty much you should only need to do a few.

8. Click Here!

9. bwahaha

10. bwahaha

I added RO water this morning to top off. What is the reason to use that instead of regular (dechlorinated) tap water?

11. bwahaha

Okay, so I started noticing life on my live rock. There's this brown, misshapen thing with tentacles waving them everywhere, and there's two things where their bodies look like tiny pale tan PVC pipe and they have like heads that are white and purple tentacles and they can retract them into the PVC pipe type bodies. ID?

12. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Tap water is full of phosphates which is the main cause for unwanted algae.