Aqueon 36 gal Bowfront

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by bwahaha, Jan 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yeppers :) I apologize because I should have been mentioning this and asking questions about it along the way - that's my bad.

2. Click Here!

3. bwahaha

bwahaha Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

4. bwahaha

How do I do a fishless cycle? Quite apart from the expense of buying a fish only to have it die or be greatly weakened, I don't want to torture a fish...

5. bwahaha

Oh and also, in addition to the question about gobies (which it would be awesome if it eventually got an answer), I have read that royal grammas will eat ornamental shrimp such as peppermint, cleaner and fire shrimps. Has anyone experienced this? I love shrimps and they are one of the main reasons I wanted a saltwater aquarium, so I don't want a fish that will eat them :worried2:

6. bwahaha

Sigh... Have also read that firefish and grammas do not get along... Any experience with this?

7. oldfishkeeper

It would probably be really helpful to do a search and read about the cycling process in the forum. You'll want to understand what you are doing and you'll need test kits to see when your cycle is done. Many people get a table shrimp and let it slowly decay in the tank to start the process. Since ammonia will be the first stage, you may want to return the hermits because it can be a difficult process for living creatures. Many people do not use fish to cycle for this reason.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the grammas and firefish, I've not kept either. Here's a bump for that question.

8. Click Here!

9. bwahaha

Okay, thanks. I'll look it up right now, but I don't think my LFS would accept the hermits back :/ I wonder if they would start eating the shrimp though, before the bacteria would have a chance to grow? Or maybe i need to keep them off of it? Also I've started noticing little tufts of paleish yellow fibrous cluster type things... Is this Aiptasia...?
    Oh and no problem :)

10. oldfishkeeper

good point about the shrimp :) I know there is a way to add ammonia, but I'm not sure what product you use to do that. Hopefully others can chime in with help. What you describe doesn't sound like aiptasia, it sounds like maybe sponges? Would need a picture to help with that.

I wish others would chime in with assistance for you :)

11. bwahaha

Haha :) I think I'm just gonna go ahead and add a shrimp and whenever i see the hermits on it i'll put them on the other side of the tank :D I'm new to this hobby so I could definitely be wrong but these do not look like sponges to me. It just looks like my live rock is growing pale yellow tufts of hair. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. And lol, me too, but you've been great, thanks for all your help :)

12. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Sounds like hair algae remove it or it will take over the tank. So far your doing the right steps you will have a high ammonia spike from the shrimp. I know its hard but keep waiting on the fish.