Aqueon 36 gal Bowfront

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by bwahaha, Jan 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bwahaha

bwahaha Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks! It took me a few tries, but I'm pretty happy with the end result. As of right now, they are just stacked on top of each other. I know it looks somewhat fragile, but it's fairly sturdy and I figure since I'm not getting very big fish, maybe 3 inch long maximum, it should be okay. Do I need reef epoxy?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I like the scape as well! If they seem sturdy, I probably wouldn't use epoxy. Once you glue the rock, it's hard to make little tweaks here and there. It's also makes it harder to get to things if you need to.

4. bwahaha

Thanks! And okay, I won't use epoxy. What substrate should I use that would suit the tank inhabitants I plan to have, and how much?

5. oldfishkeeper

I would suggest 1 1/2 to 2 inch sand bed of aragonite. I'm not sure about the specific type of aragonite to suggest because you'll need to see what appeals to you. It shouldn't be too course (larger shells and such) or too fine. I know people have spoken well of Fiji pink I believe.

6. bwahaha

Okay. I've read somewhere that you should put shell shards and similar around the burrowing gobies' holes so they can use them for their burrows. is there any truth to this?

7. oldfishkeeper

they're usually pretty adept at finding things for their burrows. I forgot to mention that I believe there is a calculator for you to use to calculate how much sand you will need on this forum. If not, I think you can find one on Bulk reef supply and/or marine depot.

8. Click Here!

9. bwahaha

Okay, so no going down to the beach to collect shell shards? lol. And cool i'll check it out

10. bwahaha

Do i need to siphon out the small grains of debris from the rock before adding sand? It just looks like little sand piles

11. oldfishkeeper

I would siphon debris. I don't think you shouldn't add any additional shells and such if you'd like to. It probably would be a good idea to have a few. Hermits need different sizes of shells to switch into.

12. bwahaha

Okay I'll add them every now and then. And i know there must be a reason to siphon the detritus, but i cant come up with anything. Help me out?