Aquatraders Light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by djnzlab1, Feb 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

HI,
    There's been a few negative post about odessa lights they have got their act together, I ordered a 36 dual lights 2 blue 2 white and comes with three moonlights 126wattsnot sure of the total output looks great in my tank.
    psps each light group has its own grounded cord to prevent over heating and four fans...
    [​IMG]

you can read the description if you like.
    75 buck plus shippin well packed three boxes and bubble rap between each box.
    Odyssea 36" 192W (2-96 watt) Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture - 501022

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

do you have to use the little "feet" that come with it or can you place directly on tank?

4. djnzlab1

Yes and no

HI,
    It took me and hour to figure it out, they have a metal grove running down the front and back of the light, it works like a railroad track except it has a screw down track on the metal hanger it work like a monarail track system a calm on a track that can't detach unless its disassembled
    So you must dissasemble the hanger and slide the track on be sure to face it the right direction cause the lights can flip-up if needed to clean the window.
    You then re-attach the feet or clips and then screw them to the tank, its really attached to the tank well.
    I then plugged in all three outlets one for each light group each has a seperate switch.
    when powered up the light is blinding till you point it down, it has four fans to help cool the metal light holders, I sent the Aquatraders an e-mail telling the how I liked the light, but wheres the instruction, and they stated there's a link on the web page for that.
    The foots are not attached when recieved they are in an extra box the same model at marine depot requires you to pay extra for the hangers if you want them and they are much flimsier.
    Any whoo I am pleased.
    Doug
    ps the moonlights are included thats also extra on some systems.I decided to go without the glass cover that came with my OP tank , every time the light passes thru glass you may lose some UV and actual light. Thats why its hard to get a sunburn thru glass. I plan to grow coral some day when the tank is right and don't want to loose to much of the limited light i may need .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  5. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

can you use it without the legs though if you wanted to, or does it require the space in between for cooling etc...? My tank is in my living room so if I put it up that high the glare on everything around it would be way too much.. just wondering if I could leave the legs off and place it directly on glass on top of the tank

6. djnzlab1

Hi,

HI,
    The legs are optional, the only are used If you don't have a glass cover , stray light isn't a problem either it all goes down but the lights are designed to run on a tank without legs , legs are optional here's mine with legs today not to much stray light .
    [​IMG]

Moon lights are so cool.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  7. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

cool, thanks for the pics. I guess I will be going out and getting a piece of glass cut so I can set the light directly on top. seems like it would look better imo. Do you have anything over the tank incase you have and fish that are jumpers?

8. Click Here!

9. djnzlab1

Yikes

HI,
    I hope they are stay in the water, I do have a small piece of glass in the front, no jumpers to date, I just don't want filtered light for plant and coral growth, the algae on the glass is changing to a greener variety, and the coraline has jumped alittle.
    The quality of the algae is improving cause the bleemy is getting fat. I run two skimmers and they are slowing down, maybe the tanks is finally settling in. The sump was already cycled but the 55 had to re-cycle after moving the sand from another tank, no quick fixbut I believe the cycled sump/reforgum saved me from any serious problems.

Doug

10. captain19365

captain19365 Plankton

I recently purchased the 48" 760W fixture for $359.00 from aquatraders... I am supposed to get it some time next week. I have been following the huge thread on reefcentral about these lights. It does sound like everything is fine since these new items are using electronic ballasts instead of the magnetic. The only thing that I have been reading alot about is the metal halide bulbs that come with the fixture are sub standard... but we'll see when it comes in. Supposedly the reason why they are crappy is becuase they are listed as "free" with the unit and you pretty much get whatever bulb Aquatraders has laying around. But hey, when only spending $359.....

11. jaidexl

jaidexl Astrea Snail

Not to be combative, but they definitely don't have their act together. It is either a fluke that this model looks and works good or they just have better folks working in the asian sweat shop that builds that particular model.

I just bought the 2 x 96w 36" Odyssea with blue LEDs, the one listed as "new 2007 model" here. I opened it up to check the wiring and they were severed two inches from the end caps where they rapped them around the sharp reflector edge. There is a circle knock-out with rubber grommet but somebody never bothered to run the wires through it. The ballasts in it look like they were riding in the back of a dump truck full of rocks. This is the same light that was reported to be catching fire all over the net for the last few years, I found an image posted by a member of aquaticplantcentral of his fixture after catching fire, the origin of the fire appears to be exactly where my severed wires are, and these fixtures are a year or two apart in production.

Aside from that, the balasts aren't even screwed down, their screw tabs are bent around rubbing on wires. There's not a water resistant part of the entire fixture, including the end caps. By the time I'm done redoing this one I will have spent the price of a coralife or more. I would suggest opening yours up if you have the know how and check it out, better safe than sorry.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  12. jaidexl

jaidexl Astrea Snail

Update on mine. After some rewiring, I've been running it for a few days now. The smell of hot metal, plastic and electronics can be smelled throughout the house. After removing the side cover I noticed that one of the end caps is already cracked, probably due to extreme heat, I was also able to get a really good view of how things are situated once reassembled, all the wiring is sitting against the reflector which is hot enough to burn my finger. I just couldn't find it in me to leave the house with this running all day and risk losing everything I own including my pets, so I've ordered a coralife aqualight to replace it and will eventually use some of it's few worthy parts to retrofit in the future.

I can honestly say the model pictured in the first post here looks to be designed with better quality than their coralife copy, but given the multiple reports of fires over many years and my own experience and findings, I can't help but chime in here and urge people to save their money and their livelihoods by STAYING AWAY FROM JEBO/ODYSSEA LIGHTS which are not even UL listed.