Aquatraders.com's new 3watt evo fixtures?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by felixpaws, May 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Slacking02

Slacking02 Astrea Snail

yeah your right, moving the light up would minimize the spotlighting. But i kinda like the look of it, it adds different high-lights to the tank. But if i decide to buy the larger unit i would suspend it from the ceiling.

2. Click Here!

3. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Awesome! Glad to see you decided to get these. The nice thing is, the 4 row fixture is about the same width as the 2 row, so, if you decide to upgrade the lights, all you have to do is buy another 2 row. That's if the 4 row would've fit, to begin with, that is. You can raise your lights to help deal with spotlighting, but you would have to raise them a bit, to do so. Mine does not spotlight, at all, on the sandbed, but mine is a 2' tall tank. You could put blocks on either side of the tank, since the leds aren't too close the edge of the fixture, and put a piece of black construction paper along the front edge, to deal with light bleed. Mine are pretty bright, and the fact I can see the leds, from the front does bother me, a litlle, but not enough to worry about it. Others may disagree. I have a couple of bent pipes over my 75, with my lights hanging from them. I used a pipe bender, but you could use two pieces connected by an elbow, if you don't have a pipe bender. My 75 is on an old, heavy dreeser, and I just screwed some pipe straps onto the pipes, to keep them in place, and put a couple screws at the end of the pipe, to hold them up. Kind of ghetto, but it works, and you can't see it, so, it doesn't matter. I have my chinese made 120 watt lights over that. I put 6 stunner strips over the front half of the tank, but I don't think they are strong enough. My fungia is not doing well. I may, later on, buy the 48" 2 row fixture, to replace those, as well, but we'll see. I may wait, to see if I can swing a 150 gallon upgrade, instead. It'd be a lot better to get a 72" light, instead.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

FELIXPAWS

I'm considering replacing my 4 t-5 light fixure with one of these. Do they come with 2 power cords so you can use timers for the two modes? (4 row fixure)

5. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

My main complaint about these, is that you can't control the white, to blue seperately, via the cords. You can have the front two rows of leds come on, then the back two, via the cords, but the blue leds are mixed in to the white. The blue, and white can only be seperated, as far as being turned on, by the switches. Still, they are awfully cool lights, for the amount of money you'd be plunking down, and the savings you'll get on electricity will be nice, too. I have found that the led's grow my coral, better than the T5's. My t5's were aquatraders.com fixtures, and cheaper bulbs, though, so, take that into consideration. I just bought two more of the 120watt, ebay fixtures, to put over my 120 gallon, but up until then, my sps had really started to take off, under the aquatraders fixtures I had installed. Apparently, they needed some time to adjust to the new lighting situation. I, am now, fully led, on all three of my tanks. I just traded out my 29 gallon frag tank, for a 47 gallon column tank, which I have a 120watt ebay led light over. If people are wondering if this hobby is too expensive, they might want to consider buying all used equipment. I have found quite a few good deals, on ebay, as well as on the classifieds of various reefing club websites. I just bought those two 120watt led lights, used from a seller on ebay, for $80, each, plus shipping. Almost all of my reefing equipment is used. It does take a little patience, to find what you are looking for, but if you think you can't afford to reef, with quality equipment, you just might be surprised. But, getting back to the light, if you don't want to stress your fish , and coral, you could use a couple of timers, and have the front two rows of lights come on, and then, after a half an hour, have the back row come on. Again, I do recommend a fan of some sort. In the winter, if your house stays pretty cold, you might be able to get away without one, but probably not in the summer. Aquatraders.com does sell a fan kit. If you don't want to get these on aquatraders.com, they, also, sell them on ebay.com. Plus, a lot of the time, someone will have a used one to sell, for $20, to $30 dollars cheaper, and sometimes cheaper than that. I hope that helps.