Aquaticlife LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Mikeyb, Jul 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

Hello all the lighting I have purchased for my tank consists of 3 of the lamps http://www.aquaticlife.com/light-fixtures/led-05w-marine, my question is will this be enough lighting for any species of coral or anemones?
    I picked them up for a steal on newegg.com for 35$ a piece, i am happy how they look on the tank(even thought it is empty just with rock and sand lol) my tank is an 80gal bowfront, pics coming soon.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You might be ok with low-light softies higher up on the rockwork, but I really would not recommend any species of anemone. Those units employ 1/2w diodes that are underdriven at roughly 1/3w. PAR will be low with very shallow penetration.

4. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

I have a 48" florescent I could throw up there with them if it would help any?

5. Mr. Bill

Anything would help obviously, but the type, wattage, and number of bulbs will determine just how much. Can you post specifics or a pic?

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

+1 to what mr bill said those units wont be good enough for anemones and most corals. Id add some t5'd to that to be able to supplement.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  7. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

Thanks I am trying to work with what I have, so this kinda sucks :(, It is just a standard 48" aquarium single bulb fixture, I could get a 10k bulb to put in it.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Again, anything would help. A single standard bulb will at least give you more real estate for lower-light soft corals. If you're wanting to keep more than that, then you definitely want to invest in lighting before you spend $$$ on livestock that needs it. FWIW, good used T5HO and MH units are going dirt cheap on craigslist and ebay as more reefers switch to LED.

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

+1 on that. T5 lights are very cheep now and still do a very good job. I lit my old 150 with them and had no issues. Keep in mind that if you do purchase one you will need new bulbs for it. People are generally switching to LEDs because they are more controllable and there is no need to replace bulbs every few months.

11. steska

steska Plankton

Save the money for a better unit. Aquatic Life is a great company. I have 3- 36 watt over a 40 gal. breeder. Great look and high par value. Total cost $350 from Premium Aquatics. Shopping around and patience is the key. Good luck.