Aquastyle 24 dimmable LED kit

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by tturbolife1, Oct 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tturbolife1

tturbolife1 Flamingo Tongue

I did some research and bought the DIY 24 led dimmable kit from Aquarium 24 LEDs Dimmable DIY LED kit with optics
    I love the kit it was fun to build and i retrofited it into my 12g nano. It came with alot of stuff. LEDs are super bright! double what my stock nanocube lighting was. I do suggest this kit to everyone looking for a cheap kit.I read the reviews but needed to know for myself.
    The only thing i was unhappy about was,
    I tried to wire them parallel because i do alot of custom led work on cars and i have always found that it works best. Well i guess for these ballasts or "led drivers" parallel didnt work. So i wired them in series, it worked out BUT i had to change the potentiometer variable resistor (dimmer) the middle tab where you are supposed to connect the wire from the driver was loose and would create a strobe light effect. i went to radioshack and bought two 25-ohm rheostat variable resistors. They not only fixed the problem but they are alot smoother then the ones that come in the kit. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this ?

2. Click Here!

3. pwreef

pwreef Astrea Snail

Wow 24 in a 12G must be bright. I have 54 in a 57G and I think its bright. Careful not to burn your corals! I did not order drivers from them, so I cannot comment on that, sorry. You are using 25-ohm pots to control the drivers or do you have them wired in series with the LEDs?

4. tturbolife1

Yes 25 ohm variable resistors.The drivers had wires just for that purpose, even though i would have wired it in series. Heres a pic of it in my nanocube hood i used stock fans and get warm not HOT

Attached Files:

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Can you get a picture with the lights on over the tank? The price is very reasonable on these kits.

6. tturbolife1

I will do before with stock lights and then after= leds

7. tturbolife1

8. Click Here!

9. tturbolife1

notice the knobs on the top of my nano are the dimmers, one is blue and the other is white.
    also the stock lighting what taken in the day time a few months back, LED video was taken at night 10 min ago lol If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Looking really good man. Ill have to look more into these kits. I was going to go with 3 watt crees but the difference in price is worthy of researching. Also, Im not a big fan of DSMs but your eclipse sounds pretty freakin nice.

11. tturbolife1

haha thank you, that dsm has been my long time project car.

12. tturbolife1

cree 3w LEDs vs Bridgelux 3w LEDs iv read so many posts on this topic. For the money personally i would go with bridgelux.(people may debate) I have worked with bridgelux before and i like the results they have given me(they do burn easily). Most LEDs are made in the same place.Iv found out first hand that the $2 SMD LED strips are brighter then some $20 LED strips. Iv installed MANY LEDs in cars and i know that if i took about four $2 SMD strips and installed them in my 12gNC it would be brighter then my stock NC lighting.BUT its not going to grow squat.