Aquascaping Comments

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nept2n, Apr 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks. I'm really this much better than the other one. Now I need to wait for the glue to arrive so that I can link as many pieces together and then get it setup in the tank. This is going to be the tricky part. Any advice?

2. Click Here!

3. nept2n

Don't you just love that about them. They won't tell you won't compliment but they sur will voice everything else. What are we to do? Love them I guess.

The LR is from BRS. It's their reef saver rock but I also have so figi pieces mixed in that I had from a nano tank that I got from aquatic connection. I think the combo of the two went well. Thanks for the feedback

4. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

5. nept2n

Ok everyone. Now that I have nailed down the design for my aquascape as everyone could see I built this outside of the tank. Now the fun will be getting it into the tank with out losing the design.

Here is what I plan on doing. I am going to use reef glue to secure all the smaller pieces to the large rocks and medium ones as well before attempting to dismantle the structure. What can I use to mark the rocks so that I can make it easier to re-assemble inside the tank? Kinda like a jigsaw puzzle, marking both sides of the pieces so that the line up again.

Does any one have a better way of doing this or have done it a different way that may be easier?

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

if you have some masking tape, tape strips (several of them) from one side to the other. Do this left to right, front to back. Cut the tape with scissors in between the rock segments. Just like you used a marker to line up pieces, the tape will act as a guide to help you fit the rocks back into their original location. Then just pull off the tape when done. Masking tape won't leave any glue residue on the rocks so you'll be safe.

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

What kind of glue are you planning on using? I would suggest using a 2 part epoxy stick to mend the rocks together. The glue alone wont have near the strength.

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Hmm, can't think of an easy way to remove the rocks as one giant piece to move into the tank. Could possibly get a bunch of twine and tie the outside of the rocks together and pick it up as one piece, but it seems open to a lot of problems.

I would just try to organize the rocks into appropriate piles as you pull them out and try to get them back in their spot while looking at your picture.

As far as glueing, no idea. I'm not a fan of it since I've changed my scape a few times and have removed/relocated a few rocks since my tank started. Plus if you ever need to break down the tank or remove some rocks to get something, it's going to be a hassle.

Have you read about using acrylic rods to hold the rocks in place?

10. nept2n

Good idea thanks. Will blue masking tape work?

11. nept2n

I'm actually using thick reef safe superglue that I got from BRS. I already tried the two part epoxy and it didn't hold that well. I already glued several pieces to form large chunks and let me tell you to break them apart I will need a hammer

12. nept2n

I tried two part epoxy but it didn't hold well so I used glue to glue the majority of the rocks together into two large sections. Hopefully if I get the urge to redecorate it will be to upgrade to my dream tank of 300 gal. Lol! Then it won't be so bad. Your idea of twine is great it will help stabilize the rock and hold it to the platform will I transfer it to the tank. I read about using acrylic rods before. That would have been my next step if the glue would not have worked.

I'll post some pics this weekend after I'm done transferring the rocks to the tank. I'll also post pics of the setup I just got my reef keeper elite in and I will be installing it along with dosing pumps for the two part.

I'm thinking of adding a refugium any thoughts?