Aquascaping Comments

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nept2n, Apr 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

I am using dry Eco Rox that I got from BRS. I actually ordered 180lbs so that I would not have an issue with bio. There isn't 180 in the tank I have left over in a box that I will eventually use. The pieces that I got were extremely large and dense but they are very porous. The pics of the two islands are made up of primarily 4 very large pieces plus a whole lot of small ones.

I see everyones point about opening it up so as to provide better flow. I certainly don't want to create a headache for myself later, so as soon as I get out of the 9-5 that I am in right now I am going straignt home to break up those pieces with a hammer and chisel small enough that I can manage them better.

2. Click Here!

3. nept2n

Hey I took a look at your build thread. It looks great. From the box of rocks you got it looks like you may have gotten it from the same place I did. How is your tank looking after a couple of months with the clean up crew?

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I did I ordered from, BRS but I ordered the pukani and some branch instead of the eco. Even more porous and lighter and very easy to cut with a hacksaw or chisel to make what you want. The rock was stark white for the first and then turned brown and green before I added the CUC that took about 3-4weeks. After that the cleanup crew made it whtie again within 3 days and over the past month it has slowly started to add some color again. Nothign encrusting but I have a lot of different hues iof purples pinks yellows and greens. Some mroe diatom has started to grow but I think its msotly the start of corraline I had a 1lb piece of liverock I added and the CUC had all kinds of corraline growth on their shells.

5. nept2n

ok everyone I couldn't resist. I came home straight from work and went straight to redoing the layout. Here is another aquascape. I am not a Pro but I took your advise and opened it up more. The are caves, overhang, and passage straight through the design. Here are pictures and a short video of the aquascape which I did outside the tank.

photo_1.JPG

photo_2.JPG

photo_3.JPG

photo_4.JPG

View attachment IMG_6560.avi

6. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Congrats. Your new aquascape looks great. :)

10. nept2n

Thanks all. After getting everyone's feedback i thought of this design at work. Hence my eagerness to get home and get cranking.

My wife keeps telling me the tank has become my new wife. Lol! She's actually more excited than she leads on to be. She hated my FW tank before but it looks like she is digging this new build.

11. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

man.... my lady says the same thing to me. im a newbie to about 4 months running and she wont say she hates my fish but she HATES that im so addicted. :p

new scape looks killer. what kinda LR is that?? i like the look of it

12. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Looks damn good. I really like it.