Aquascaping Comments

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nept2n, Apr 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere around 20-25 lbs or rock. I think 13 lbs was live. The rest was base rock.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

<--- This guy does.While it might generally be a good rule of thumb to follow to have 1lb per gallon it is just a guideline and will also depend on other sources of filtration you might have. Lately we have seen a shift to using less live rock (in the display at least), worrying more-so about a natural looking aquascape, with good mechanical/chemical. Personally, I only run a skimmer and a filter sock.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Id just open it up a bit.:)

5. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks for your honesty. I do appreciate good honest feedback. Truthfully I'm not crazy about the design. I definitely know that I am going back to the drawing board so to speak. I'll post something new again for feedback

6. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

No problem, glad I could help. Thank you for not getting defensive or butt hurt when asking for others opinions.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.

1 person likes this.
  7. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey everyone I just wanted to let you all know that I will post updated pics of my next attempt by Sunday evening too see what you all think. Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. packerfreak25

packerfreak25 Bristle Worm

i use 65 pounds in my 29

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

correct, typically 1-1.5 pounds per gal
    But you could use more or less depending on what your bio-load will be.

The scape looks good but you may want to open it up a bit. There is a greater possibility that crud will build up in your set up over time because it appears you will not get much flow thru it.

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I am new to SW and liverock as well but cn attempt to help.

First off about the 1-2lbs of rock per gallon rule, this is kind of like the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. Not the msot accurate and jsut a very basic guide but a 6 1 inch fish make a lot less biolaod then 1 6inch fish. With rock not all rock is created equal. The mroe porous the rock the less you need lb/gal. Also it looks like you are using all dry somewhat porous rock, remember when people say 1-2lbs of rock per gallon they are typically using live dense fijirock. When you buy live rock you buy a lot of very expensive water weight so the 1-2lbs of rock you buy is really maybe only (guesstimate alert) 66%rock and 33% water.

As for the scape, looks good but I agree it seems kind of packed which would make flow difficult to get through and keep waste from building up. Looks nice though! Look around to see what you like, remember there are a lot of ways to scape and have it be an effective and good looking scape so msot of it is your personal preferance. I personally hate the wall look and prefer pilliars and arches. You can see my first scape in mu buildthread in my signature, took me 3 days to complete this 46gallon scape with about 40-45lbs of dry rock and many many attempts and 2 tuebs of epoxy

12. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

The key with aquascaping(as far as filtration goes) is to have the least amount of rock touching the sandbed as possible.