Aquascape newbie needs help with first tank.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by twowordz, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

You have some good looking rock there! I like both the arches and the two islands. There are so many different options I know it can be a lot to think about. haha. But as a couple people have said before, it only matters if you like it.

2. Click Here!

3. twowordz

twowordz Astrea Snail

I left about an inch to an inch and a half around for cleaning and flow. The smaller island will have a couple of inches around.

I hope at some point it will be covered, I'm just concerned about how long it will take to get all the corals I want to get covered as everything seems so expensive and I am thinking of getting only one or two every month.

That's the thing about getting started, you sink a lot of money in a short amount of time!

:)

4. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

Yep, well another piece of advice is only get corals you really like. Don't get them just because they are cheap. I have a few I inherited and now I can't get rid of them! The ugly ones grow like weeds!

5. twowordz

twowordz Astrea Snail

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

to get fully covered reefs it takes most people 2 years minimum.

1 person likes this.
  7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

that is true very true. your tank is only so big always remember that, atleast with non encrusting or non matting corals you can frag them pretty easy, but a ugly zoa or gsp colony is pretty much impossible to get off a rock

8. Click Here!

9. twowordz

twowordz Astrea Snail

I'll keep that in mind!

cdmorrison01: I know it comes down to liking it, but at the same time, I just want to make sure that it will work down the line.

I really like lobsterboy 150 gal zeo. He's got only 45 lbs of rock in there but the colors are amazing. I just don't think I could achieve something like that right now. Maybe for a next project!

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

part of it is his t5 lights you tend to get flat/pastel colors with them But like 90% of it is he runs/uses the zeovit method. Its pretty expensive, If you want a cheaper alternative look into vodka or sugar dosing, or biopellets(I use these).

11. twowordz

twowordz Astrea Snail

I have a T5HO setup with 4 bulbs and 4 LED moonlight. I haven't even looked at it yet, I don't know the wattage or what's actually in it.

I got a good deal on the tank (methinks), 75 gallons with corner flow, metal stand (made a new one), SWC Extreme 200 skimmer, Phosban 150 reactor, 33 gal sump, 145 lbs of rock, 5 gal of crushed coral, a bunch of SEIO powerheads, pinpoint meters (didn't check em out yet), the 48 inch 4 bulb T5HO with built-in digital timer, return pump, test kits, another smaller skimmer (coralife?), 5 gal of kent salt, etc... 600$.

lobsterboy says it cost him around 50$/month for the zeovit... does that sound about right? I'm not sure I want to pay that much...

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea it adds up then the start up cost is also pretty high for the reactor.

biopellets are like 50 dollars a year. like 80 dollars start up cost.