Aquascape newbie needs help with first tank.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by twowordz, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. twowordz

twowordz Astrea Snail

Alright here's my favorite so far:

[​IMG]

You have some of the prettiest rocks on top. On the right, there's a ledge to grow corals.

[​IMG]

on the left, there a nice rock on top and the spongy ones in the bottom with funky shapes. It make a cave big enough to put my fist.

[​IMG]

I feel it look more natural this way. There are some overhangs and caves and the branchy ones look like they are going towards the light. At the same time I feel like there are some good spot for corals to grow.

Let me know if I'm wrong, like I said, it is my first time.

thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

personally I think it looks great, the only thing I would play with is sliding the smaller pile closer or farther from the big one. I say play because the distance you choose may very well be the best one, its to the point all obvious flaws are gone.

but I think that big pile is definitely a keeper, the form on the small one is good too.

4. swinkreptiles

swinkreptiles Melanarus Wrasse

Any way you had it looks great. My personal favorite was the first just because I think it would look great in the long run with corals on it and there is plenty of in-out room for fish to swim and hide! :cheesy:

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Looks great! I thought the first one looked natural. But as you change it, it keeps getting better! Keep up the good work. Stay with this one though. :)

6. twowordz

twowordz Astrea Snail

swinkreptile: oh right maybe it is missing a tunel to swim through... Looking back on the first one, I feel like it look to much like a pile of rock.

sostoudt: I agree with the small pile, it could be closer.

I think I might replace one of the big rocks that is very heavy and doesnt have much personality. I was planning to buy at least one live rock to seed the tank.

See the rock on the bottom left? It looks like a piece of concrete but it is a branch from an old coral. I feel it is too big and raw. The thing must be 15 lbs!

[​IMG]

thanks

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

IMO all three were good but the last one is my favorite. It might not look like it now but you have more room to play with.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

thats the great thing about the LFS you get to cherry pic rock, I have ordered 100#'s before and ended up with 2 40# lb boulders and basically rubble before. lol

10. twowordz

twowordz Astrea Snail

I'm on my second coat of varnish on the stand. I will wake up early tomorrow so I can give two coats in the day. Wednesday night, my brother is coming to help move the stand and the tank.

My rocks soaked for a week with powerheads just to make sure they are clean. I got some aragalive sand coming to the LFS. I just need to figure out the plumbing and get this baby started.

I'm so excited.

Thanks everyone!

11. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

I still liked the first go around best.lol Good luck man.

12. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

Like the others said, just make sure you like it. You'll be looking at it a lot! One thing that I make sure of is that there is enough room around the sides so the magnet float to brush the glass won't hit the rocks. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about which rocks are the prettiest...if you're lucky, they'll all be covered with coral anyway :)