aquarium silicone

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Leesa, Apr 24, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Hey everyone,
    We are finally constructing our sump, overflow and adding a protein skimmer. Almost had a catastrophe....just happened to read on the tube that the silicone we had gotten is not suitable for aquarium use. What kind is and where is it available. This was a real bummer because we were really getting into putting everything together. Any input will be appreciated.
    Leesa

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ouch you already glued everything! :eek:

That has to hurt! I am sorry to hear that.
    :p

Here is a nugget that I have saved in my hotmail account from last year:

Some guy called GE-Silicone and they told him GE-Silicone I Window & Door (#GE012A) is aquarium safe and sold in most hardware stores.

Another one I saved says GE I silicone from Home Depot. So that was two sources recommending the same stuff for what it's worth.

:)

4. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Actually, we had just put the silicone on and it was easily cleaned off.

I called GE-Silicone last night and asked them about the GE Silicone II. I was told that when it dries it releases ammonia. They also would not tell me that they produce any aquarium-safe silicone and that I would need to purchase aquarium specific silicone. Sooo.....off to the LFS in search of. Otherwise, it is available online. I just don't want to wait. We were hoping to get it together this weekend.
    I'll keep you guys posted.
    Leesa

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well Leesa, I have heard at least twice that GE I is fine. Did you notice? ;D Or is it because the person on the phone didn't know?