Aquarium Crossroads advice

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CBSurfrider, Oct 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I hate I am even starting this thread. I've come to a point where my aquarium is becoming more of a chore than enjoyment. Water changes, glass scrubbing, water params.. yada yada yada. With all this in mind, I may be going back to a traveling job where I will be gone three months at a time. I can hire someone to maint the tank while I'm gone, but is it worth all that if I'm not even here to enjoy it? I've just hit a lull and looking for some feedback to rejuvenate me. I've come a long way (photo progression over thee yrs posted below) from my first 55gal upright with CC bottom to my 300DD.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I can see where you are coming from. I can see myself getting to that point some day. I have to wonder if reducing stock will make it less stressful due to lower nutrients, ect.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Absolutely.....Just one more reason NOT to overstock. IME 3 fish in a 90 gallon aquarium produce enough waste to make weekly wc's still necessary to maintain water quality.
    You don't want to become a slave to your tank.It's supposed to be relaxing.Keeping a low bioload will help you keep your tank simple without gadgets that constantly need maintenance and attention.
    This goes for coral stocking as well. KISS:cool:
    Cleaning my tank and equipment thoroughly and moving around a few rocks/corals usually snap me out of my doldrums.

Billme likes this.
  5. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I absolutely agree with taking a step back to make the tank more enjoyable. I also think if you are gone 3 months at a time and your tank is not your passion you can't live without, I would probably let it go. Even if you really enjoy your tank I'm sure it causes some stress to some degree. If you are traveling for work and have other things going on, you may not feel like cleaning the tank when you get back home. This would make cleaning the tank a chore and therefor add more stress to your life. I hate to say it but based on your post I would recomend selling the tank. It sounds like it's stressing you out and we all have too much stress in our lives.

Billme and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

so sorry to read this but certainly understand. three months is a long time to be away from a tank and I'm sure it may get kind of costly to have someone maintain it while you are away and like you said, money and worry regarding something that you're not there to enjoy. I just remember your excitement when you got the 300 but if you're finding it more of a chore, maybe stepping away while you sort out your travel time and such may be the best option.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I've decided to sell it. It's not worth it to me to pay someone else to keep it up and running while I'm gone for three months at a time. My entire motto was I enjoyed building, cleaning and all the house cleaning on my own. I never understood why people paid others to do it, as it's part of the hobby.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I know the feeling man, I almost had to do the same thing with mine because of work, but I got lucky and assignments changed so I was able to keep mine. I would say you made the right choice. Best of luck.

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Sounds like a good decision CBS. Best to let it go before it gets run down. Good luck.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm sure that was the hardest decision to make but I think the best. You can always come back to the hobby - you're young! :)

12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

It's not gone yet! And I'd never let it get run down. I just ordered a new power head today to replace one that is on its way out. Also talked to Dennis from this site and when the time comes he is going to house a few fish, so that makes me feel better when the time comes.

Billme and DSC reef like this.