Aquarium Controller Poll

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Biocube, Jun 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What controller do you have & do you connect to the net?

1. Digital Aquatics

29.5%
  2. Neptune Systems

47.7%
  3. Reef Angel

15.9%
  4. Aquatronica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (Please name in post)

4.5%
  6. Is your controller online

29.5%
  7. Do you use Reeftronics

6.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks.
    That's a great question, I know Apex has great apps for both platforms. Looks like there's two separate apps for DA depending what phone you have. I really am impressed with Neptune Systems and their App.

2. Click Here!

3. rgoedhart

rgoedhart Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Biocube, I have heard several references to the Android app for APEX being "buggy" or "lightyears behind the apple app", is this true? does this affect functionality?

I only have android devices on me when I travel

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I know Apex released a all new revamped app last month. It's suppose to be just like the iPhone app. I'm 100% Apple so I can't talk much about the new App.

5. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Bought Apex for my new 125g. Have not set it up yet.

I was seriously considering Reef Angel and coding would not be an issue for me, but I was not 100% sure how reliable it is. Finally thought I'd go with something that has larger user base/support and nicer iPhone apps.

6. rgoedhart

Does anyone know if the RA app lets you control things as well as monitoring or whether it just lets you monitor?

I looked at the "Play store" but only found pics of what appears to be monitoring.

7. rgoedhart

so.. I would really like some assistance on the matter of PRICE on Apex & RA. I hear everyone say that "RA" is "half the price of apex!" or at least 2/3rds the price..

Now I'm not here to say that's not true, as I still haven't made up my mind yet or fully grasp both units potential/capabilities, but the more I look into the units, the more I'm starting to think that the RA is really not that much cheaper...

RA:
    219 (but really you'd want the 269 version if you're going to expand it much...)
    109 for the ability to get it on the internet

Now you're at $378 and get:
    1 PH probe & monitor
    1 temp probe & monitor (ability for 3 probes)
    8 controlled outlets
    2 float switches
    ability to use unit online

Apex: $499, for all the above so about $125 more expensive than the RA.

However.. If you want to start monitor ORP

RA: $119 expansion - Total: $500
    Apex: included - $54 probe - Total: $555

Now.... if you want to add, let's say Salinity..

RA: $119 for relay expansion, $149 for salinity expansion - Total: $780
    Apex: $85 for PM2 (also adds temperature + i/o expansion) - $139 for conductivity probe - Total: $779

add a 2nd PH monitor/probe to the mix:
    RA: 109 - Total: $890
    Apex: included, $45 for probe - Total: 824

At this point the apex is cheaper AND will have given you much more capabilities because the PM2 module gives you more than just the 1 capability..

Am I reasoning this properly? If I'm right though, the big reasons for choosing one over the other are:

RA: freedom to configure/code, smaller first investment...
    Apex: Bigger company backing it up, solidly built, larger first investment..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Not sure about the Android App but I would email them to see what they say. Also ask them about after sales support, I know Neptune Systems has great support.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I see no flaws in your reasoning.

And as Chris said, if you consider customer support, the choice may be even more clear.

1 person likes this.
  11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Programming a controller can be easy, but when something doesn't work the way it should it can easily become very frustrating.

Please check out Reeftronics , this site will have pretty much everything you need to get setup. (Check out RIGHT side of site for help)

Also please look this over before making your final purchase, this article/pdf is packed full of info about Apex Controllers. http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-v1_0.pdf

Lastly, I want to keep this thread open to every controller. I just only have personal experience with Neptune Apex Controllers. If anyone else wants to chime in and share their experiences (WITHOUT FIGHTING) please do.

Also if you are interested in Reeftronics, heres what it looks like when your controller is added:
    http://www.reeftronics.net/biocube/apex-status

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  12. symon_say

symon_say Astrea Snail

Yes it controls and monitor from the android app, the pc app and the web page.

Great post with detailed info, but if you spend all that money on a controller you probably will have vortech and leds and you want control then to, and probably need 8 more outlets, so

RA + rf adapter: 890 + 99 = 989 (can control radion to)
    Apex + rf adapter: 824 + 125 = 949

RA + 8 outlets = 989 + 99 = 1088
    Apex + 8 outlets = 1109

I won't compare leds or tunze because both controllers can handle that from begging, but remeber that Apex can't control PWM and RA can.

But lets not focus on the money only, first of all most reefers don't need all those add on, lets focus on the basis each one can give,

Apex is a great controller, reliable, can do tons of things have great support from what i have read and is on the pricey side if you want full features.

RA on the other hand is build by a hobbiest, have some quality flaws, but have really great support from manufacturer, is kind of hard to figure it out at first, have a really nice community to support it, and have all the features 90% of reefers need in the basic package.

If i had the money for Apex when i was looking for controller, i'll be using it right now, but RA gives what i need for less money and i'm pretty happy with my choice.

I don't know if you're talking about Apex or RA, but i can say RA have the best customer support i have ever had on any product i purchase, you can ask in the forum, send PM o email to Roberto and you'll get your answer on your problem in a few minutes most of the time.

They will even help you step by step on how to do things.

PS: I'm not defending RA because i'm a hard core fan, is just that i feel i have to give back the support they have give me since i purchase it, i have more than 1 year with mine without any problems and i simply love it.