Aquarium chillers?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by salt4me, Jul 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Down to basically 2 brands, one is the JBJ artica 1/4 hp the other is the ecoplus 1/4 hp by sunlight supply. Would like to here so fed back on these from you all who have them.

2. Click Here!

3. JOHNMD

JOHNMD Astrea Snail

I just hooked up an JBJ Arctica brought my tank down from 85 to 79 in just a few hours ( Nothing in the tank, still cycling ) it's so quiet I have to look at the display to see if it's running

4. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I have a JBJ 1/5 hp chiller. I used it all the time in Florida (for obvious reasons) but literally stuck it in the garage when I moved to CA. Partly because it is not needed for much of the year. Partly because at only 1/5 hp I didn't think it would do much to a 600g system.

Last week it got hot out here. My tank temp jumped to 84 degrees one day while I was at work. I left early, got home as quickly as I could and pulled my JBJ out of storage. I opened the door to my fish room, blew an extra fan in and set up the chiller. I was worried that after 3 years it wouldn't work, but it fired right up and within a few hours the temp had dropped to 76 (what I had set it at).

If you can't tell, I'm quite happy with my JBJ.

5. Budman

Budman Plankton

Following along...

6. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

On thing that swayed me away from jbj is that the units controller is internal. While it is is sleek looking,if the unit fails you would be without your chiller till you got it fixed. This would likely mean shipping the unit back to the manufacturer and incurring further expense. We all know they are not light. The same thing could happen to an external unit as well but replacing an external can be cheaper and less downtime in the event something should happen.

I have a tradewinds chiller. It is drop in at 1/5 hp. They are well made.

My next unit will likely be a JBJ if I ever change the unit because of the sound levels. I am willing to take a chance on the JBJ because I have the Tradewinds as a back up should it fail. I enjoy quiet components on my tank so this could be seen as an upgrade to some degree. I understand that this is a luxury and not a necessity, but because I already have the Tradewinds working fine its my situation.

7. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

The only thing I found as a negative review on the JBJ is customer service. The negative thing I find on the Eco Plus is that the unit is set to come on with a 2 degree rise in temp, or displays wrong temp, both which can be adjusted. Noise doesn't seem to be an issue with either unit. Then again I have a 9 yr old son and a boeing would be considered stealth.

8. Click Here!

9. RMcKellips

RMcKellips Plankton

try aqua logic. american made and can be service by a tech and replaced with american parts if and when it breaks.