AquaC Remora and EV Series

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 2, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Is the skimate watery or more of a sludge? More air will concentrate the skimate into a brown sludge which is what you want.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

"Skimate" - stuff in container is quite "watery" - kind of yellow green...

Will get out docs and figure out how to increase airflow...recall seeing something about the "screw contol"...

THX

OmarD

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You shouldn't have to mess with the air control.
    What you want to do is lower the rubber o-ring on the container cup. This will raise the container cup higher making the skimmate dryer and darker.

Try a 1/4 " at first and let that go for a while before re-adjusting.

Eventually you will break down and click the link above for my mod for this skimmer. [smiley=biglaugh.gif]

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks Matt...figured out on my own after going over the whole system ... was not readily "obvious" by the very "minimal" doc's that came with the skimmer...returned to find your post...

Raised up "cup" about 3/4 up..."extract" volumn greatly reduced and appears much more "concentrated..."---

thats the "trick"

Om

6. Craig Manoukian

7. tankgirl

tankgirl Plankton

I had some problems with the "break in" period on the EV - it produced massive microbubbles and took forever to break in (something like 6 weeks!!!). But, it's an awesome skimmer, by far the best I've ever owned. Someone gave me a good tip; don't move it and don't clean the collection cup during break in. Don't know if the same applies to the Remora, though.

(ps. Hi Craigy!)

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

TG,

You are exactly right in that all skimmers have a "break in" period.  For that matter, it is good to remember that all skimmers need to be adjusted from time to time.  I clean my collection cup once or twice per week and then the whole skimmer periodically on an as needed basis.  Keeping the collection cup clean allows the foam to collect easier as the is less friction from skimmate build up.

PS, High back atcha and please post some of you pictures of your awesome set-up here.

10. szaijan

szaijan Astrea Snail

I am switching my 47 gallon fresh water aquarium over to salt. Likely about 20% of the volume will be taken up by live rock. I currently have an Eheim cannister filter that works quite well, but now I need to evaluate whether I need a wet/dry system and figure out which protein skimmer to buy.

Based on my research, I was initially going to purchase an AquaC Remora Pro w/a MaxiJet 1200 pump. From what I see here, this should do the job nicely.

A couple of questions, then.

Do I need the pre-filter with this skimmer?

Would I be better off getting a combined wet/dry + protein skimmer system? Low noise and low maintenance levels are priorities.

Am I likely to need a wet/dry system, or will an Eheim canister filter be sufficient? If I need wet/dry, I can get a Pro Clear Aquatics 75 combined wet/dry and protein skimmer, but I've never heard of these folks and have no clue as to the effectiveness of the equipment. Any insights would be welcome.

11. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

You can buy the surface skimmer box but no prefilter is nessecary for the maxi jet. If it gets clogged up it may actually hurt performance.

If you have live rock skip the wet dry; you are just asking for trouble! An old aquarium makes a great sump!

You actually do not even need the canister filter; you can use it but most will say not to. Personally i like a little mechanical filtration. Just keep it clean!!

Lastly do not forget about your 6% discount at captivereefs.com it will save you a little on the remora!!

12. szaijan

szaijan Astrea Snail

Does anyone else find this to be a very noisy product? The MaxiJet pump is quite quiet, but the water bubbling inside the mechanism is quite loud. Does this get better when the micro-bubbles die down, am I doing something wrong, or is the skimmer just noisy?