AquaC Remora and EV Series

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 2, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have been hearing good things about the Remora hang-on model and the EV series looks good too! Here's a look...

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Just installed my Remora this weekend on a new tank, 55G with only DI water and Instant Ocean Salt, and after 2 days it had collected some brown scum allready in the tube that goes to the collection cup! It is very quiet and very rugged. An engineering marvel due to it's simplicity. I like it very much.

By the way it is practically maintenance free, except if the sprayer happens to get clogged with algae or debris, it can be cleared easily through an access screw! oh_yeah

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey you got the Remora, cool!

Post a pic of it kicking up the scum sometime!

5. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

OK :thumbsup2:

[​IMG]

BTW, this was before adding any live rock! This was when cycling the tank with just 50# LS & salt/H20..and nothing else, not even a snail!

very easy to use, practically maintenance free skimmer!

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ok...you guys talked me into it...ordered AquaC Remora Hangon (with Maxijet 1200 upgrade) yesterday from MarineDepot...

"Skilter" was fine for initial startup...but now I have gotten a little more "educated" am not happy with its performance (& additional effort to get going)
    -will stay on as a "supplement"

Any particulary setup "tips" for the Remora?

THX

OmarD

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

I too am thinking of getting a Remora myself. I have 2 questions tho...

Since my tank is a 35Gal Reef.. currently with about 5 little fishies... and about 5 types of corals - will be getting more soon (about a month or so at a time)

Should I get a Remora or the Pro ?
    Is it worth getting the pre-filter accessory ?

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Get the Remora.
    It's plenty for almost twice what you have going.

I actually have both now, but only the Remora going. The Pro seems almost twice as big and, to me, is overkill on a small tank and will stand out more.

THe pre-filter/post filter is your call. I don't have it going on mine and I am fine with it. The bubbles where a lot at first but after the skimmer broke in it went way down and I don't notice them. And the pre-filter boxes are huge.

BUT, they skim from the surface, which is nice.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Aqua-C's injector is simple and found only on their products (He even got the patend on it). Unlike Becket, Down Draft, Venturi and even airstone driven skimmers, it has the lowest maintance time for the injector. easy to access, easy to clean. Unlike other injectors, it has several points of injection, not just one. My favorite hobbyist skimmer line, besides Euroreef.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

AquaC (Remora Hangon) arrive Wed. - (two days ago) --- did not do much until this AM, when it really started to "froth" up...

Since this morning I have had to empty the waste receptacle twice!!! - nearly full first time, - overflowing second.

Volumnwise this is about 20X the "grunge" my skilter has produced in total since I started tank about a month ago now. Nowhere near the "bubbles" either...So much for the "Skilter" .... maybe I did not have it correctly setup (w/airstone "mod")..

Unplugged air stone and am just going to leave it "filtering." (which I would like to find out the pros and cons of...) Which it seems to work just fine for. May serve usefully on a smaller tank someday (my girls want "seahorses" - said ok when they have learned enough to setup and maintain tank themselves. --- would make a good "science fair" project for 5th grader next year)...by then hopefully we will all have a better handle on what we are doing here...

Anyway...concern now is, can I expect this "waste" generation to slow down?--- am concerned out overflowing...is there some kind of mod I can make to have it overflow into a bucket behind tank if I don't catch it in time...seems like it is producing an awful lot...guess my tank needed it...

Rgds,

OmarD

---