Aqua C EV 120 Skimmer

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Birdlady, Jan 7, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Funny you should ask! I am neurotic about noisy tanks...hehe.

I definitely splashed down but, the output is threaded so I put some pvc pieces and elbows to make it quieter. It was weird tho....with 3 elbows on it, the water level was fine, but when I tried something different, with 2 elbow, and a straight piece...the water went too high? Go figure! I have 2 elbow and a straight pieces flowing the water against the glass in the sump and then down...very quiet now! The skimmer itself is very quiet as well.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I will try to get some pics of what I have going on this weekend. ;)

4. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

glad you are happy with the purchase!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Product;num=1105164034;start=0#10 date=01/14/05 at 23:09:09]I(t) definitely splashed down but, the output is threaded so I put some pvc pieces and elbows to make it quieter.[/quote]

Cool! I think I saw a pic of it with just a hole in the side which got me thinking.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

It come with a gated valve that goes into that hole ;)

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

What pump are you using BL? Can you elaberate more on the two ways you tried plumbing the output?

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Sure...I am using the Mag 5.

I have it alongside of my sump, which has a small chamber for the skimmer (I had a hang on skimmer I built the sump around and the skimmer broke - it was pretty old tho). The Chamber is about 5 inches wide. so I could not really put this skimmer in the sump.

With the gate valve I started by adding a small piece of 1" PVC, and one elbow (that took it over the baffle into the refugium and I did not want that) so I added a second samll piece of PVC and elbow to turn it back into the first chamber, and another section plus elbow to drop the water down. That was working fine, but I did not want so many elbows. I was afraid of restricting the flow plus the splash back down was too loud for me.

So, to reduce the noise, I added a straight piece to the end to bring the outlet closer to the water surface...then I had problems with the level in the skimmer. Too many elbows I think...so I took the last 2 elbows off and just had it going over the baffle and a straight piece into the fuge....but the water level was not happy with that arrangment either! :p

So what I ended up with was, 2 elbows so it turned back into the first chamber, and one straight piece about 5" long so it is flowing out on the glass and running down...less noise, and skimmer seemed happy with this.

I will try to post pics of what I have later today. Does this make sense at all? :-X

;D ;D

10. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

The Aqua C skimmmers are pretty sensitive about the outlet being free flowing. The easiest way to handle that is to use a T-fitting instead of an elbow to turn that first corner. Then, air can get into the downpipe and equilize the presure. If you do that, you can submerge the pipe for quieter operation without the pressure building up. You can use a cap with a small hole in it on the third leg of the tee, or stuff some filter floss in there to muffle the sound. It's sort of like a Durso standpipe. If you don't vent it you get weird pressures, vacuums, or whatever that mess with your water level inside the skimmer.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cool! Thanks for that info!!! I didn't think of that! ;D

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Here is a pic of my new skimmer skimmate! I still have to get pics of the outflow pipe.... :)

Attached Files: