aptasia anemones

Discussion in 'Coral' started by sexyj, Oct 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

perhaps, my tank is still newish (been running for about 6 months) and iv seen my apitasia decrease rather than increase.

but who knows maybe one day i come home and BAM a zillion on them, though honestly i highly doubt it

2. Click Here!

3. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

No 1 or 2 is no problem, but some don't like them because of their look. I combat mine because I had the peppermints already and as said I had about 20-30 pop up from 4-5 of them. My tank still has 2 but they don't go anywhere and the peppermints kill any new stalks that grow in. Also some find them bad, because as you let them grow they can take over the tank and sting your corals to kill them or back them off an area they are attempting to take over.

But they don't really bother me. Same goes for Bristle Worms but a lot of people find those to be pests too, IMHO they are just great detritus destroyers.

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

word on the worms.

5. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

one or two will turn into hundreds and they are killing machines and serve no natural purpose other than being food for peps and other wonderful animals that were put into place to kill them if not 80% of our coral population would be lost.

6. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

any other ideas if peppermint shrimp aren't an option?

7. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

thanks for the help guys havnt see the shrimps out of the rocks yet but can see them hidding the tank does look clearer know my coarls have opened up really big dont know if it was them or not but keeping watch

8. Click Here!

9. rookie2011

rookie2011 Plankton

How can I tell if an unknown anemone in my tank is aptasia? I have something that has greenish brown tentacles with rosetip. growing slowly in size but certainly growing.
    Thanks.

10. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

Google: Mojano Anemone.

11. rookie2011

rookie2011 Plankton

12. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp