Apex cord length and test kits

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zeus440, Mar 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zeus440

Zeus440 Astrea Snail

I have a couple of simple questions
    1. How long is the cord for the apex Aqua controller jr
    2. In people's experience what is the best brand when it comes to test kits.

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Red Sea test kits are nice. Also some of the hannah checkers (alk and phosphorus)

4. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

You can get longer cords here

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-apex-xxg.html

You can NOT use a regular usb cable. I have two different 50' runs off my main unit running different tanks.

As far as checkers - I use the Hanna for the Phos and Alk, Red sea is good - Salifert makes a good kit as well.

mdbostwick likes this.
  5. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

You can use a USB cable, but need to ensure its an unloaded or plain cable. Most USB wires use repeaters or active extenders every 15'. These are what will fry the aquabus. I'm using several 6 footers on mine.

6. Zeus440

Zeus440 Astrea Snail

Ok slight communication on my part I should have been more specific my apology I meant the power cord length

7. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

They are basically the same, but not all USB is made alike. Since aquabus uses 12V and not 5V you need a USB with a minimum of 35V BIL insulation and it cannot have repeaters. If you dont meet that criteria than you will have a burnt up cable and can damage your modules and base unit. (many cheapo ebay cables or most cables longer than 50 ft do not meet those requirements). More or less, if you get a quality cable such as those made by usbfirewire, then it will definitely work. Why take the chance plus using a regular USB will void the warranty.

the power cord is 6'

Vinnyboombatz and AnotherMike like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Zeus440

Zeus440 Astrea Snail