APC BX1500G Battery Backup Review

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

As someone who has a JBJ LED model, this has piqued my interest quite a bit. Lights are 89w if memory serves me correct but JBJ as 2 return pumps. Could probably revert to 1 during emergencies. Heater and 1 return pump should be able to last a bit.

Fluctuating wattages might be attributed to slight changes in load over a couple of different loads.

2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Pretty cool Matt. Thanks for sharing that with us.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

At 70 watts, the battery backup should work my mag drive 7 for about 93 minutes. :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I use these exact models on about half of the systems we maintain. They've saved several aquariums during power outages.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

You really should have got a non modified sine wave. With MACNA bitingh at my heals I do not have to time to go into why, but I have here on #reef in the past...

You want a true sine wave, not modified and not a square wave.

7. Seano Hermano

Umm...?

Why suggest something if you aren't going to explain why? What makes it so much better?

8. Click Here!

9. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

glad to see someone review one of these! I was thinking about getting one awhile back and I probably still should. I wasn't sure how well it would work for the money though, but it seems like it will hold up just fine. I would probably only run my powerheads or the mag pump in case the power went out.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

People teased me with this on the other thread I link to. :)
    One thing I know about what your suggesting is that it would double the price on the APC models I saw. Beyond this I am not sure as it has not been explained. I assume it has to do with efficiency. I imagine there is give and take with what you can afford though.

matt

11. Seano Hermano

Matt, the APCS that are a true sine wave - when you say they are more efficient (at twice the cost), I am assuming you mean they get a better battery life? How much better are they really?

12. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Thanks for the great review Matt. I actually might purchase one of these in the near future, due to frequent power outages in my location.