APC Backup UPS for reef?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Jul 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for info John. Is there a way to determine if sine is needed from looking at the pumps?

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Not really sure. I have to talk to my rep at APC in the morning about my Smart-UPS 1400, I'll ask if they know or if there is a general rule of thumb.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

4. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Not all APC Smart-UPS provide a pure sine wave:

See specs below for APC Smart-UPS® SC 620VA

APC Smart-UPS SC 620VA 120V

"Waveform Type Stepped approximation to a sinewave"

5. luisgo

luisgo Astrea Snail

That is correct but mine provide pure sine wave. Its important to verify that before purchasing a UPS.

APC Smart-UPS 1000VA USB & Serial 120V

6. yangabanga

yangabanga Plankton

resurrecting another dead thread

I had the brainwave to put a UPS against my system so hooked up a cheapo one I had lying around and yup it totally messed up the UPS. so I think pure sine wave matters!

7. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Another thing about EcoTech battery is that it connects to a different port on the Vortech controllers. When controllers loose main power but receive batter backup power, they go into "power saving mode" and pumps operate at low rpm. That is what gives it 36h+.

With regular UPS, your pumps would continue to run full speed and drain battery quick.

8. Click Here!

9. yangabanga

yangabanga Plankton

I picked up a UPS that will run the main pump for 2-3 hours in case of an outage.

that should smooth out the occasional power issues.

but really the question I have for you all is how long can the tank stay OK without running the pump at all?

we've had some extended outages here where I've had to run the generator for a few days but I can imagine a scenario where I'm not home for a day or so. will I come home to all dead livestock?

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

This is not a set in stone answer as it is tank specific.
    Ambient room temperature how many fish you have contributing to your bio-load and tank size will be the main variables.

If your house temperature was high enough where your tank could stay between 73-82 degrees, you didn't feed anything, and had an air pump(s), and you stirred the water with a kitchen ladle for some movement when you were home, you could go a few days without seeing any effects.

Water temp and circulation will be the main issues.

We've had some prolonged power outages here in the east the last few years and folks have kept their tanks alive by constently heating up pans of tank water on the stove for two days.

However, without the correct temp or any circulation, a well stocked tank may start feeling the negative effects within a few hours...

11. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

I run my two mp40's off of an apc 1500 series battery backup. It will keep those two pumps running for about 8 hours