Anything I Should now about SPS

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by redsea, Feb 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Many people do not spot feed their SPS corals. There are many reasons why, but I believe SPS corals should be fed. I was reading recently that SPS corals often times capture more food than LPS corals. They are difficult to feed in an aquarium setting because filtration, protein skimming, ect. takes the food right out of the water column soon after feeding. I feed phytoplankton, zooplankton and Coral Frenzy to my SPS corals. I have noticed a considerable increase in growth rate since I started to do so. How you feed your SPS is really up to you. They can intake nutrients from other food sources like flake food from your fish as well.

As far as 2 part goes, I have used both the Bulk Reef Supply formula and Seachem Reef Fusion 2 part with success.

Good advice Gabby! Dip your new corals in CoralRx or a similar coral dip to rid your frags of any unwanted pests. All new corals should be dipped really, but you do not want monti nudis. You can kiss all of your montis goodbye then. :(

2. Click Here!

3. redsea

redsea Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Definitely, I wouldn't want to risk it. :)

4. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Yes you should dip new corals. However, some corals like echinata's aren't so fond of this and will melt. For these you should either buy from people you trust, or quarantine.

Coral dips will not kill nudibranch eggs, just nudibranches. You should examine for eggs and if you see them, manually remove them and quarantine.

In addition, coral dips will not remove red bugs... For this you would need Interceptor. Interceptor is a medication used to prevent heartworms in cats and dogs. It is perscription only from a vet. Many vets will prescribe it if you just tell them the truth. Interceptor, like coral dips, will only kill red bugs and not eggs. Multiple treatments are recommended, usually 3 treatments (3 weeks in a row). That way, you kill the live ones. A week later you kill the ones that hatch. The 3rd is preventative.

I have not battled Nudi's, but I have battled red bugs. Red bugs are A LOT easier as you just medicate the tank. Nudi's require manual removal. For reference, here is how I successfully defeated red bugs in 3 weeks time. I will update it (with long-term results) now that I am thinking about it:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral-diseases/successful-red-bug-treatment-127399.html#x

Quarantining is your best bet. I still don't quarantine lol. Do what I say, not what I do.. ;) My excuse is that I am a poor college student with a severe coral addiction.

1 person likes this.
  5. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

6. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I wouldn't think so far into it. I don't dose or anything special.. Aside from a little phyto. But if you have the light to do it, they'll grow. Simple as that.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

You might think so because you may not be intentionally feeding your SPS, except for some phyto like you said, but thats far far far from the truth!

For example, these statistics were from a study by Coles in 1997...

*Manacina Areolata (LPS coral)
    Calories expended in feeding 51.6
    Caloric intake 157.6

*Montastraea Cavernosa (LPS coral)
    Calories expended in feeding 47.1
    Caloric intake 146.8

Porites porites (Very small polyped coral)
    Calories expended in feeding 59.8
    Caloric intake 247.0

*Average daily respiration and ingestion rates of Artemia nauplii for three corals.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbyr189

-1. Let us know how that works out for you...

You should think far into it, as you would for any other aspect of your tank. This goes against everything I've ever read about reef tanks. Research. I mean isn't that the point of this forum? To learn? And research? Why would you tell someone who is trying to learn about SPS, the most difficult type of coral to manage, not to think too much into it? The OP was doing the right thing here.

Please don't listen to this advice. I would rather not see another person post another thread about SPS problems. SPS is easy, but only when you do it right.

10. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

That's pretty interesting, how in the world would they find that out?? Don't they burn the item to see how many calories is in it.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Im not totally sure to be honest. Id like to find out though. Another interesting study I was reading about was saying that most acropora species. They can derive more than all the energy they need from photosynthesis to function and grow. Yet, when grown in a sterile environment they will die pretty quickly.

12. gabbyr189

A bomb calorimeter I believe...