Anyone with Anemone Experince

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bunner, Mar 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

When anemones reproduce via splitting, it's for survival purposes only. Sexual reproduction is pretty much the preferred method of propagation for all species that have the option to do so :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

In the wild, they just get bigger and bigger and bigger until they get so massive that they do just what they do in our aquariums....they split. It is a survival mechanism.

People are often so proud of their brightly colored anemone that fluoresces so well under their actinics. Well, the reality is, if it's that pretty, it's starving.

LOL, nope. I don't have any papers either that say if your SPS are browning, you should skim more effectively. I don't have any papers that say don't put an 8-line wrasse into a tank with a 6-line wrasse either. I've been blessed in the situation that I've been able to talk with many marine biologists. They have no financial reason to lie to me so I believe them. Sometimes I share the info I learn from marine biologists who are also hobbyists.

You asked a question. Then you didn't get the answer you wanted. As you've figured out by now, I'm brutally honest.

1 person likes this.
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

5. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

Have they ever successfully spawned in captivity?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Spawned, yes. Produced "viable" offspring, I don't think so. You don't really want anything like anemones, clams, etc., spawning in your tank. It will make a mess.

7. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

oh dear.... i think you miss understood me....

i just wanted to know where to read about it..... not starting a war her just wanted info AND i wasnt looking for "my" answer :/

8. Click Here!

9. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

cool. but the big boys can do it right? I thought I read something about ora farming them, maybe it was just clams.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yup, if the environment (and mayhaps the mood?) is right, just about anything can and will spawn in a fish tank.

I haven't kept up with who is doing what these days but it's possible that ORA is propogating anemones these days. I know they do clams but not sure about the other.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

oh yeah. clams can be spawned successfully in captivity. However the tanks are specifically clam tanks. It is a NASTY, NASTY nutrient nightmare when they spawn. Then they have to go green water to feed offspring etc, and there are a whole bunch of other factors that have to occur....right moon, right flow at the right time, temp etc. I had a clam spawn in my tank once..was cool to see. However no offspring occured because it did not have the proper nutrients, flow etc.

I dont think anemones are truely ever spawned in captivity. I think they are just forced to split. There are a number of ways to "force" one to split.

But again, here is my big beef with the whole anemone thing....we are dramatically cutting down on this animals lifespan. Again, then can live hundreds of years in the wild. A couple years in our tanks max. Plus when we remove them from the ocean it is not only the anemone that we affect, we affect so many other animals.

Please dont take me wrong...I am not trying to get into a moral or a naturistic stand here ;D cause I am not!

The other big issue has not been addressed in this thread...maybe one that is closer to others heart ::), they tend to move around your tank and kill other corals. In the display tank that we had in the store, they had this large rose BTA. It would move a lot and it always moved to some big, prized expensive coral and kill it!

12. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

right on, thanks for the reply.