Anyone whip bryopsis with Epsom Salts/mag sulfate?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by redfishsc, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Believe it or not, Roger took a big clump of it and put it in the refugium to see if it would "fight" the stuff in the main tank for whatever nutrients it was feeding off of. That seemed to be working, albeit slowly, and then the 180 sprung a leak. Blessing in disguise perhaps?

2. Click Here!

3. redfishsc

redfishsc Feather Duster

I am at day 2 of dosing the MgSO4, raising it 100ppm per day... which after thinking about it probably isn't a good idea, that's a LOT of sulfate in the water, and I have a good snail CUC.

I'll keep an eye on them, and if they get listless on me I'll pull them to a QT bucket of non-"mag-anized" seawater.

Obviously too early to see any huge effect.

I am also about to pull the trigger on ordering some Tech-M.

How much do you guys think I need to order for a system with 45 total gallons of water?

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I battled bryopsis to no avail in my 35g about a year ago. I never tried to raise my mg level, but I have read and heard that raising mg to 1600 or so will eradicate it. I don't think the techM has any other stuff that epsom salt does not.

5. redfishsc

redfishsc Feather Duster

Actually, it lists a TON of stuff in it's ingredients, including copper.

Nobody knows for sure how much copper is in it, but it's not enough to kill corals, but the thought out there is that it's enough to kill the bryopsis.

Far be it from me to know who figured this oddity out, but the Tech M does have something in it that other mags apparently don't (except for some that report Seachem magnesium does kill bryo).