Anyone used Marco Rocks?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by GuitarMan89, Nov 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

well the florida rock is in stock, so there shouldn't be a problem
    Well, I placed an order on Oct. 31. and the update said they were expecting the delivery very soon. However, it hadn't changed since Oct. 15. However, I see that his order had shipped from fiji now. Who knows. I was mad because I was led to believe I would receive my order quickly, and when I attempted to contact him by email and by phone multiple times leaving messages I had no response. What Jackfrost said makes sense, but I won't every buy from him or try to buy from him again, I ordered some rock from bulkreefsupply.com and it came within 4 days, was packaged great and looked awesome. His customer support flat out sucks and his manner of doing business is a little misleading. luckly, my credit card company refunded my money and they are currently dealing with him.

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yeah I'm with guitarman on this one, just from the shipping alone on my last order from marco rocks I'm either buying from reefcleaners or bulkreefsupply.com for now on on rock

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I just got my rock yesterday...ordered it a 1 week ago (8 days really). Rock was well packaged (in a box with heavy duty bubble wrap), and they sent exactly what I asked for (specified medium sized, flat pieces and that is what I got).

I did not have any service issues, so never talked to them directly...but based on this experience, I would order from them again.

5. RDuke901

RDuke901 Plankton

Beware of marco rocks

I have purchased several items over the internet and have found that the marine community is pretty honest, as most in the business are into aquariums also. I am a member of several marine forums & aquatic societies. I researched where to get some new rock and found great reviews on Marco Rocks. I placed an order on Nov 2, 2008 (over $600). I waited two weeks, and when I hadn't heard anything, I called...answering machine. I left a message, went online and sent an email....NO RESPONSE :angry::angry::angry:. I waited a few more day, called back three times. Finally on the third call I got a hold of Marc. He said the shipment was on its way from Fiji. That there was some kind of customs issue, but he expected the shipment into port, then it would take another week to clear customs, and he would hopefully ship it out at the end of next week (this would have been Thanksgiving week). I said ok, thanked him, and waited. Figuring that nothing would get done Thanksgiving week, I called the following Tuesday. Again no answer. I sent another email...NO RESPONSE:furious:. I continue to call daily until the 2nd of December. Then, by some dumb stroke of luck, Marc answers the phone again... I lit into him. Having worked in retail for over 15 years I asked him what kind of customer service is this. Since I presume most of his business is word of mouth I asked him how he planned to stay afloat. I advised about all the messages I left and he said, he didn't know why he hadn't gotten them???? I advised him that I had sent several emails and none where answered. He said his email server was down and he had lost all his emails, but that it was back up and running. I then advised him that his web site had a generic email when anyone sent a request for an update. The generic email was dated from Oct 15, 2008. I advised him that whatever issues he was having getting the rocks...if he doesn't take care of his customers or at least let them know what's going on, they will put him out of business. He said he understood and was calling Fiji that night and would update his web page. After we talked for a good 30 minutes, I felt like he was being honest and decided that even though it had been a month, I would give him a little more time.
    The next morning I logged onto his website to see if he really did update his sight, and low and behold, there was an update. It advised that the shipment had left Fiji on 11/15/08, that he expected to be shipping out rock soon, and that he was going to be coming up with some kind of discount, rebate, something for the inconvience. I thought to myself, WOW, this is a stand up guy......
    Fast forward to 12/19/08 (1 month & 1day since the rock suppossedly left Fiji), still no rock so I call again and guess what.......NO RESPONSE. Not only is there no response, but this guy has pissed off sooooooo many customers, and has treated them the same way, that I can't even leave him a message because his voice mailbox is full. Today is 12/23/08, and I continue to call every weekday, several times, and his mailbox is still full. Either the shipment left eastward on a rowboat and its somewhere around the cape of south america, or maybe he shipped it westwards and some Somali pirates have hijacked it. Eitherway, I am going to join as many newsgroups and messageboards and post this message. My opinion is that Marc is a LIAR. Please for your own stress and happiness, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS GUY!!!!! I don't care how good the rocks are, or how cheap they are...IT'S NOT WORTH DEALING WITH THIS GUY!

6. mprygh

mprygh Plankton

Agree, beware of marcorocks

I ordered in October. And he charged my credit card immediately.
    Still waiting, 12/30/2008.
    I have called and emailed. Never any response.
    Also, I have seen other threads warning of very high
    phosphate content in the rocks.
    But I can't get through to cancel the order.
    Might be time to contact my credit card company.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Check your credit card agreement, usually there is a time limit after the purchase for disputes. May want to do it soon - that's a very long time to wait for your order. Good luck to you!

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I waited 3 weeks and that was long enough. Apparently he just got an order in in later november/early December, so some people got their orders. You may have just missed out. It is deceiving how he does business and I will never buy from him again.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Wonder if the BB would do anything. Many times credit card merchant gateways will cut businsses off as well if they get enough complaints or chargebacks. I understand slow supply - my LFS has a hard time getting good stock in. But at least he's honest and doesn't take your money and then not reply for months. This guy is obviously real and ships what you order (eventually), but he would probably fare better if he's up front and just admits he's having a hard time with his suppliers.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As I said earlier in this thread, I ended up just calling my credit card company and they are handling it. Got a refund immediately.

1 person likes this.
  12. MadMAX

MadMAX 3reef Sponsor

Bump,
    has anyone had this experience lately? (curious for other reasons)