anyone tried the magnet cleaner?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by new2salt2, Mar 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

One other thing with the mag cleaner my 3 year old son uses it when he helps clean the tank Keeps him off the ladder but gives him something to do. Just have to keep him from ramming the astrea snails and knocking them off the glass GGGGRRRRRR He thinks its funny.

2. Click Here!

3. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

I have one in my 12 gal eclipse and while cleaning the tank some of the sand got under the mag and it scratched up the acrylic something awful. so be careful when using on acrylic. It works great, but watch for sand/substrate particles getting under it.

4. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

also, the magnet is quite strong so watch your finger if it gets caught inbetween it is not going to feel good....... I know from experience

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

do you leave the magnet in the water the entire time? i was gonna buy the floating kind so i dont have to mess with a string.

6. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

i leave mine in the water all the time you can just hide it behind something like a powerhead. the floating kind i feel is the best because you have to remove the magnet to switch from the front to ther side glass and its just easier if it gets knocked off when your cleaning by the bottom.

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i just didnt knowif the magnet was something that could stay in water.. didnt want something to leach out

8. Click Here!

9. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

We use a mag-float and leave it in the tank pretty much full time. The inside part is totally covered in purple coralline algae now.

It also doubles as a seaweed clip for the blenny :D ;D

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I have an assortment of these and the best one so far I have found is tunze! No matter how fast I scrub the back never falls off! Also this is the only magnet I have seen that says on it it is safe to leave in the tank all the time.

11. chrischick

chrischick Astrea Snail

I picked up the Hagen one and WOW...watch your fingers..it is a godsend though....I LOVE IT..Well worth the 16$CAD

12. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

I finally picked up on the mag float model for acrylic tanks. It works great! Very easy to use. Everyone is right about being careful about your fingers. The magnets are very strong and it's very easy to get your fingers pinched. Ouch!!!