Anyone know what's up with LED lighting?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by GoToSleep, Mar 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

Well i dont really agree with that statement... I still think LEDs will be an option and Orbitec does have plans to release a fixture in 2009 with a company they partnered up with. They also claimed to pick up customer service for some of the problems that people are having with the solaris (believe me this fixture has MANY problems!) so that the ones left with faulty fixtures aren't left with a $3000+ fixture with no warranty.
    However many people are looking at Orbitec as the devil but if it were me (and im sure you would do the same) i'd be protecting my patent as well! Especially when considering that LED lighting is projected to become a multi billion dollar industry in the next 10-15 years!!!

We have very little information on the real situation and what has been going on in the court room. So it is to early to take sides. There are however loop holes in the patent and there are still other fixtures available that don't fall under the claims of the patent that are already in production and available to the american public. (aquaillumination)

So, yes i feel terrible that PFO had to lay off the staff but we dont know the whole story to really say anything positive or negative about either company at the given moment in time.

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

On a side note for LED lighting, I saw that Costco is now selling LED flood light lamps. However, they are made in China and are not even UL listed.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Craig,

Let's just agree to disagree. I feel this is the equivalent of the people who signed up Internet Domain Names and then pretty much demanded ransom from the companies with that name.

I know that Orbitec is going to be eventually producing LED lighting for the industry. However, I will not be selling them. I'm no longer in the industry but whenever major coin is going to be put down, my phone always seems to ring.

6. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

Trust me im not to pleased with the situation either. We have clients with these lights that i may have to service the fixtures myself since we cant go to PFO for new parts that are "under warranty" Im just saying we dont know enough of what is going to have anything to to agree or disagree on.
    So, i think we should wait till it all unfolds before we all go jumping to conclusions that are based on false information that is all over the internet. I can reada ton of false info on the internet and claim it to be cold fact...for instance what is that one website... wikipedia? :)

7. oresto

oresto Astrea Snail

Heres my tank with blue LED

Here is my tank with blue LED at night

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

10. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

HI all i love led lighting & use it to light my tank. I use a cpmpany called tmc (UK) very good product & good price.
    Thanks K

11. Blkburban

Blkburban Astrea Snail

are there any patent Attorneys as members, im just curious, what does this patent do for DIY'ers? I am making my own LED fixture, are they gonna come get me now too?
    From reading the patent and not understanding it, it appears that it applies to an open top tank this is mentioned several times so if i put a cover on my tank does that help :) it also says that the system covers a Micro controller to control the brightness if i dont have a micro controller and just a on/off switch is that ok? is a light timer considered a microcontroller "hint of sarcasm" it also says that the fixture would could connect to an outer edge IE glass tank, so if i have it suspended from the ceiling or a plex tank that doesnt have an edge am I ok.
    sorry for the rant, but I am kind of peaved at the broad Patent issued.
    I cant be annoyed with Orbitec as the PFO solution looks like they did raid the cookie jar, and knowing human nature anyone else in thier shoes (orbitec) would have done the same.

12. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Technically blkburban, you are breaking the law but in reality Orbitech wouldn't come after you because there sin't a whole lot of money that they would be able to get out of you. The way I see the future of LEDs for now is this, anything that uses highpower LEDs and uses a controller for the LEDs for a marine environment is under Orbitech's patent. Now i'm confused with this then as well...what about the Aqua Illumination LED lights, why are they not getting attacked by Orbitech? In the end I think that Orbitech has hurt themselves really badly with all the negative publicity. The patent is Orbitech's property, I can respect that, but on the same token don't make it look like you have nothing to provide in the here and now. I;m sorry I really dont understand the timing of this. Wouldn't it be better to introduce the product, given that it would be legally savvy, before you sue the other company especially since your touting the quality of your fixture is better?