Anyone know what this Algae is?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mdbostwick, Mar 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Weird Algae.jpg
    I know the picture is horrible but this is on my back glass the whitish spots are coralline but these look like long strings of green. Look like the size of a hair but they are not in clumps, just individual. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Sometimes hair algae will do that. It doesn't always clump up into a bundle. Time to beef up your cuc and check your parameters!

4. mdbostwick

Any suggestions on what to add? Currently I have ceriths Nerites Nassarius, a lawnmower blenny and a tiger conch.

5. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

It varies on the invert itself because hair algae is not on the most wantes list for then. Emerald crabs, zebra white claw hermits and torchus snails(spelling?) Keep my tank spotless from everything. I would advise those above all. The best thing to get for really really bad algae problems are seahares but they need mass amounts of algae to graze or fed daily. since it's barely starting I'd suggest leaving the lights off for a few days And feed less To starve it out. If it proceeds to get worse check your tdm on your rodi or if you use tap make the switch to rodi. I found that the most of the time its due to the tdm being a lil to high coming from the rodi and usually means you have to change one of the filters.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You don't need snails.Just need to export a few more nutrients.;)

Phil077 and mdbostwick like this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

+1 on Vinny's comment. Watch your feeding. Only feed enough for your fish to eat within the first minute, then repeat if necessary. Better to feed small amounts a couple of times than a one time, larger amount, feed. Also, u may want to add some chaeto for nutrient export.
    A few water changes will help reduce the nutrients too.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

I have 2 baseball sized chaeto in my sump and an ATS before my skimmer gets a hold of my water. My phosphates and Nitrates are undetectable on salifert kits. The food i give does get consumed quickly except when i broadcast feed my coral about 2-3 times a week. The algae isn't very bad, i just wanted to know if i needed to try to manually remove it.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Hmm... maybe your coral feeding is too often. A lot of coral foods are extremely high in nutrients and even the bottles say "Use sparingly". Algae is usually cause by excess nutrients, bad lighting or an extended light cycle. In some cases a combination of all 3. I don't know your equipment or setup, but those are usually the culprits. I have target fed my coral before or squirt some coral food in the water column and turn my skimmer off. Almost every time I over fed because I thought "If this coral doesn't look well, but the others do, he must not be getting enough food" and that always got me in trouble ;-)

Vinnyboombatz likes this.