anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substrate?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by new2salt2, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Re: anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substr

So with his current test readings why is the Calcium and alk still high and have been for so long?

Only 3 answers are possible. The media is dissolving, both test kits are wrong or he is adding things without telling us.  I would think the first based on what I have seen :-[. Think of it this way. If he does water changes, which he seems to have done, the Ca and Alk would have to go down, as the IO mix, for example, is only about 380 mg / l Ca. His Ca and Alk seem to go right back up....correct ....or did I miss something ? I would assume he has tested his kits in a fresh mix...correct..?  And I saw where he said he has not added sup's for a long time.  So something must be going on in the sand bed to cause dissolution....there is no other reason. This is not the first guy to have had this problem. The only answer would be to remove the CC  HE IS USING and use something else. Where did this CC come from ??

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

IF you had the time to read this thread in full, and the previous thread you would have seen that the good people here had already come to that conclusion and in fact the removal of the CC has already in part begun.

In your previous post you wrote:

and then

Which is it?

John

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well i dont add any sups anymore and havent since i noticed the levels. i have tested the kits, not only in fresh salt mixed, but fresh water (no salt) as well. ca with my oceanic salt when mixed is around 435-450PPM. alk is 2- 2.5MEQ/L

i did add some shrooms to tank and removed half of the CC and my levels are lowering. i will be doing anther test thursday and post results. i got the CC from my LFS a long time ago and dont know the brand, but it is mostly shells.

i think the problem has worked its self out tahnsk to naut and johnO in this thread.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Very interesting...
    Newie is slowly removing the CC and has said it is about half way out now. I think his last ammonia reading was 0. so I would say keep removing the CC slowly.

I will have to check into micro bubbles some more and get back you you on that one.

So Since Newie has removed Half of the CC his Cal has gone down from 575 / 600 to 525 alk is about the same and the pH went from 8.6 to 8.3 and salinity is steady at 1.023. I believe the CC is the cause of all his problems what do you guys think?

6. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

IF you had the time to read this thread in full, and the previous thread you would have seen that the good people here had already come to that conclusion and in fact the removal of the CC has already in part begun

I had seen where some had suggested to remove it and others said don't remove it.  I was replying to Dave's question ;

So with his current test readings why is the Calcium and alk still high and have been for so long?

Which is it?  

What do you mean which is it ? Read it again

Lets try it again same thing

Some is saying air in a power head is a bad idea, that is not so. The aeration will increase the O2 and drive off the CO2, a good thing. Driving off  (decrease) the CO2 will increase the pH, a good thing. Aeration will drive in (increase) O2, a good thing. CO2 and O2 have nothing to do with one another. Your pH will tell you nothing about what the O2 level is. Your O2 level will tell you nothing about your pH level. If for the sake of argument the pH was 8.3 and I added pure O2 , it will not change the pH...period. If I added pure CO2  to lower the pH it will not change the O2  level....period

1. Aerating the water does not mean it is fully saturated with O2

2. Even if the water was fully saturated with O2, it has NOTHING to do with pH.

3. Aerating the water will not lower the pH but increase the the pH.  Driving off CO2 increases pH, it does not decrease pH

4. Plants use up O2 during the night, which lowers the O2.  During the day they give off O2, which raises the O2

5. Plants give off CO2 during the night, which lowers the pH. During the day the use CO2, which raises the pH

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok guys .. i lets not fight it out. if i remeber right that is how this whole thing started between me and Naut. ill post test results shortly.

8. Click Here!

9. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

I'm not fighting :D I just needed to re-expalin something that seems to have been misunderstood

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Boomer I think some of the confusion for me was you were saying Oxygen has nothing to do with pH but here you say "Aerating the water will not lower the pH but increase the the pH. "

This is because it's driving off the Co2 right?

Should we say Oxygen has an indirect relationship with pH then?

11. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok.. test results. PH 8.3 CA 516PPM and alk is 4.5

amonia .25 trate and trite 0

i think the CC was the factor. PASS THE WORD!!!!

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=General;num=1083728275;start=75#87 date=05/13/04 at 11:59:21]Boomer I think some of the confusion for me was you were saying Oxygen has nothing to do with pH but here you say "Aerating the water will not lower the pH but increase the the pH. "

This is because it's driving off the Co2 right?

Should we say Oxygen has an indirect relationship with pH then?

[/quote]

Thank you Matt, that's exactly what I meant :)

John