anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substrate?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by new2salt2, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substr

Test the magnesium if high the ONLY way to reduce it is WATER CHANGES.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=General;num=1083728275;start=45#46 date=05/08/04 at 18:52:09]ok.. done with the air in water.  i put about a pint , or glass full of tank water and added air stone to it over night approx. 20 hours.  tested tank water and sample pint water that had air and PH was same!

what does this mean? [/quote]

Measuring the PH of suitably aerated water is a simple way of checking the oxygen saturation levels in the water.  My initial thoughts were that the O2 levels were being reduced at night and causing the PH to change which in turn was consuming the Alkilinity which allowed the Calcium levels to be so high ( phew )   :) :-/

However it seems that assumption could be incorrect ( as it often is ) and that it could be as simple as the Magnessium level being low.  If you can, do a check for Mag and let us know the results.

It's still precipitating?  Each day?  Are you very sure that it is a Calcium precipitation?

John

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

It was not that the alk was low but both Cal and alk and pH being high.

so this part is sounding like the problem.
    so the precipitation stops. Without the magnesium, the abiotic (nonbiological) precipitation of calcium carbonate would likely increase enough to "prohibit the maintenance of calcium and alkalinity at natural levels. "

will wait for tests.
    what is the cal alk pH and everything else now Newie?

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=General;num=1083728275;start=45#52 date=05/09/04 at 19:45:35]It was not that the alk was low but both Cal and alk and pH being high.
    [/quote]

Nautilus, I was referring to the Alk being low in comparison with the Calc ( being out of balance ) apologies for the cofusion.

John

6. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

OMG.. umm i think i understand. i dont have a MG test will have to buy one. i check LFS tomorrow. just got home too late to to water checks now will have to be in AM

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HAHAHAHA, well if you EVER do understand then you can explain it to me :)

Some will disagree, but as far as ongoing water parameters are concerned, I only ever test for Alk, Calc and Mag.

John

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

where would my high MG come from? i dont use a RO filer just a DI filter and RO water from the machine at walmart

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If it is high then most likely came from the pH buffer you were adding to the tank before all this happened.
    Local water some times have it in it but not alot.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=General;num=1083728275;start=45#56 date=05/09/04 at 22:40:45]where would my high MG come from?  i dont use a RO filer just a DI filter and RO water from the machine at walmart[/quote]

What is the MG reading?

John