anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substrate?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by new2salt2, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substr

COURT? IS THIS BAD NEWS OR JURY DUTY

2. Click Here!

3. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

am a cop was trial. BTW. i put in those Mushrooms and there was aobut 10 of them. they went in on Tuesday and i can see a bit of precipitation in my tank again, but the shrooms are about 6" from my 65W 50/50 PC bulb and fully spread. one does not look good by he was bad due to the water loss in shiipping. the other look shrivled. i can still see them they not folded up maybe just croweded? anyway my question is with 7 of the 10 fully expanded do you think they will be fine now? or should i still wait for a week and see? one of them is about 3" across on the top of the rock and might have to be put somewhere else soon as the rock he is on is only about 5" round and like i said there are about 10 on there.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

They will move if they don't like where they are.

And I have to do this....
    Book em Dano

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

LOL... i guess i wasnt very clear. do youthink they will survive? would i have noticed negative things by now if they were mad at my water?

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Mushrooms are survivors. Don't worry about them yet.

Are you doing the bucket thing tonight?

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

yea put a bit of water in a plastic container and added air ill post tomorrow. the shrooms look good. better than any polyps i have ever put in my tank

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok.. done with the air in water.  i put about a pint , or glass full of tank water and added air stone to it over night approx. 20 hours.  tested tank water and sample pint water that had air and PH was same!

what does this mean?

Ill tell you though. my mushrooms i got from AZ reef are spreading very nicely. a few get covered and close up looks like they may move soon as there is not enough room for all to open. if you think they will be fine in tank i might try to prop one or two to another rock

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would wait for a month or two.

Your test may not have had enough water. See what O has to say.
    Magnesium may be high.

11. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well the snowing has slowed down at least LOLOLOL

what does high magnesium do?

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=General;num=1083728275;start=45#48 date=05/08/04 at 19:11:47]well the snowing has slowed down at least LOLOLOL

what does high magnesium do?
    [/quote]

Whenever calcium carbonate begins to precipitate, magnesium binds to the growing surface of the calcium carbonate crystals. The magnesium effectively clogs the crystals' surface so that they no longer look like calcium carbonate, making them unable to attract more calcium and carbonate, so the precipitation stops. Without the magnesium, the abiotic (nonbiological) precipitation of calcium carbonate would likely increase enough to prohibit the maintenance of calcium and alkalinity at natural levels.

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Water;action=display;num=1082929185