anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substrate?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by new2salt2, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substr

If I am reading this right Out side air will raise the tanks pH IF you have indoor carbon dioxide.
    OR
    One way to decrease the pH in tanks using limewater is to drive more carbon dioxide into the water. One can drive more carbon dioxide into the water through better aeration.

So add some more power heads to decrease the pH?
    I don't think Newie has a sump yet.
    Also CalxMax 2 parter may help lower the Cal and Alk and also lower the pH to 8.2.
    It gets confussing sometimes.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=JohnO link=board=General;num=1083728275;start=15#28 date=05/06/04 at 15:37:22]

Just another thought, if you are concerned about another snow storm occuring, get your water tested for Magnessium.  It should be around 1200-1400ppm

John
    [/quote]
    John I think you found it......
    this by Randy....
    Magnesium is a big part of the answer. Whenever calcium carbonate begins to precipitate, magnesium binds to the growing surface of the calcium carbonate crystals. The magnesium effectively clogs the crystals' surface so that they no longer look like calcium carbonate, making them unable to attract more calcium and carbonate, so the precipitation stops. Without the magnesium, the abiotic (nonbiological) precipitation of calcium carbonate would likely increase enough to prohibit the maintenance of calcium and alkalinity at natural levels.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Just to let everyone know, I have editted my previous post due to what I think are some inaccuracies.

John

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nautilus,

Yes, I mentioned this earlier in the discussion and referred to this link on how to raise the Mag levels easily and cheaply

http://www.ozreef.org/diy/magnesium_additive.html

BUT, as always the levels should be tested first to determine if it is needed.

We should also investigate the likely outcome of raising the Mag levels ( assuming that they are low ). My opinion is that by increasing the Mag the Calc will also rise.

John

6. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok.. so.. umm..

i have not had a chance to arriate the water yet. i did add a air line to one of my power heads and pumping tank now with air

so i need to buy a magnesium test to see if that is too high and if so it could be my problem.?? is this right?

as far as substrate goes i have not removed all of it. only around half. i will take rest out slowly , but feel this is a amonia/nitrate problem for me.

what is the best mag and phosphate test to buy?

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Confused? LOL

Let's try to just do one thing at a time so we can see what the reactions are, if that's OK :)

Please do nothing else but the aeration test for the moment and let us know the resulting PH levels.

John :)

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Newie don't put air into the power head that is in the main tank. Not good for the fish.

do the bucket tests as requested on the other page.
    get some test kits and we will go from there.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=General;num=1083728275;start=30#37 date=05/06/04 at 16:56:04]Newie don't put air into the power head that is in the main tank. Not good for the fish.[/quote]

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. not to mention that it might screw up the PH test :)

John

12. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok i didnt add air. i wont be able to set up the water test until tonight. will be tied up in court all day then work till evening. will psot when i start and when done tho