anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substrate?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by new2salt2, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

Re: anyone have problems with Crushed Coral substr

i have C-Balance and kalk already

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Lets stay away from the kalk right now as you don't need it. How were you dosing the kalk before all of this and what brand were you using?
    Are the cal readings down below 500 yet?

4. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Matt

One more shot.

The pH is 8.3 during the day and is night it is 8.3. Our sample of water has an alk of 0.5 meq / l and a salintiy of 35 ppt, the temp. is 82 F. There are no live forms in the water of any kind.  You can mathematically calculate the CO2 with these knows by using "Buch-Park Equations". The CO2 will calculate to be almost nil  < 0.10 mg / l. Go ahead and aerate the water with a 50hp air pump. The pH will not change as it would be almost impossible to drive off this little CO2. But the O2 level will still have gone up and even more so as the aeration is so intense. :D

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ididnt dose any of it. i had a supplement by seachem called calcium and was told a capfull every other day. i never used the c-balance or kalk yet. i do have a doser tho.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would use the balanced 2 part cal /alk supplements and wait on using the kalk.

The CalxMax has a better grade of chemicals in them then the other 2 part supplements which really help your corals grow stronger and keep tank balanced.

What are your readings?

Thats one reason I don't like seachem. How can they tell you to add something to your tank when they don't know what your calcium and alk levels are at?

Always test before you add anything to your tank and then measure the correct amount of additive then add it.

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

yea learned that lesson the hard way. ill post test results later am working now.

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok.. sorry late, but busy with work.

testing with salifert kit this time.
    calc 500
    alk 4.5 meq/ml

the lamotte puts the results a tiny bit higher, but for ball park i am in there

amonia .25
    no trate and trite
    i did buy one of the El cheapo amonia alarms that suction cup to the glass and change colors just in case.
    PH 8.4

my shrooms are thriving %100 even had a nickle sized shroom jump off rock. he was always getting covered by the others. i attatched him to a smaller rock to start new colony. even my polyps that have not been open more than a needle head are now almost fully open and expanding . so am happy reefer now. just need to get my sump rocking.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Man your numbers are looking pretty good now 'cept ammonia. Have you done the ammonia thing with another kit?

11. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

yea i have used the dry tab kit too and near same reading. my tap water is close to so just think it is the test. but yea the results are getting better.. prolly do a 3 gal change tomorrow after removing so much CC. my amonia alert thing i just bought shows no amonia

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Your tap water has it too? Hmmm... wonder if this has to do with the new chlorine that water works are changing too. In fact I think it has some ammonia in it if I remember correctly... hmmm... worth looking into.