Anyone have luck trading frags for LFS credit?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by pgreef, Jan 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Cool stuff! My LFS here will give me 1/3 store credit of the retail price. Its at least something. I traded my last batch of frags straight across for my new angel

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

my lfs takes stuff in for credit, 33-50% depend on what it is an what they have in stock.
    lol when i took down my 90 and i fraged every thing down mostly frogspawn i got 250 dollars in credit. but my lfs makes all there money providing and maintaining tank for business offices.

:( im down to $1.30 i have to start paying for stuff now.

1 person likes this.
  4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Same here1/3 retail. I sold them my arrow crab for more than I paid for it. Stuff like xenia though... Is generaly 5-10$ person to person or people just give it away...since it's so common

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's highway robbery. True Pom Pom xenia fetches a pretty high price where I live so unless what you've got is regular run of the mill xenia, you should definitely get more than that per frag. Xenia is difficult to ship in that it's often not prepared for shipping properly and ends up sliming itself to death. What I do before shipping xenia is dunk the xenia in and out of the tank before I put it in the bag. This causes the coral to slime up and the dunking in the tank water dilutes the slime so that it won't slime up so much once its in the bag.

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I have a great relationship with my LFS...found one I liked and stayed with them (have a few here in sacramento) competators are good in retail.
    I have traded with them ...and they have been more than fair.
    ...they even loaned me a couple of turbos when I needed them:cheesy:
    ...but some of the others around here..ha! good luck...So as stated above by bmshehan, feel lucky
    LG

1 person likes this.
  7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I actually just learned that I can get 1/3 of the price they will sell it for, which is a lot better than what I thought it was. They will also do the same for fish.

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I paid $45 for my original Red Sea Xenia Frag. Really expensive compared to other Xenia. that same store is now charging $55. They said they'd give me $5 store credit for each rock. When I called them to let them know the crop was ready they said they didn't need it right now. The store closest to my house wanted to rob me at .20 cents each. I tried a different store that is even closer to my house. I suggested the $5 each. I need to find out how much they are reselling it for before asking for more $$. I'm happy with the $5 per rock. I can basically get a nice size coral for free maybe once a month that way.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:eek: I would expect more than that for "regular" xenia, never mind the pom pom!!

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think it's going to vary from region to region.

Good heaven's. I've had people come in with a bag of chaeto that looked like it had 10 years of detritus in it. You could see 100 aiptasia interspersed in it and they think they deserve $40 for it.

There so much xenia in St. Louis that people give it away for free at local club meetings. The same goes for anthelia and green star polyps.

There are other factors involved too. Is the electric bill or payroll due this week? Is this customer a regular or do they only come every 3 or 4 months? Is this customer supportive of the LFS's or do they get on the club forum bulletin board and trash all of the LFS's? (Even though they were competitors, I knew all of them well). Does this customer ask you questions for hours about lighting and what they need, and then go save $30 and buy it online?

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I'm happy with the $5 per rock. I fully realize the LFS owner has overhead, risk, etc... that I don't have. This stuff is growing for free in my tank now. If I can get something for it great. In this case the owner had been looking for some Pom Pom and was happy to get it. I think it worked out well for everybody. He'll mark it up and probably net $40 for each of them. I'm fine with that. It's his business, not mine. Maybe I could get more than that per rock on eBay. But then I have to worry about the hassle of shipping and hoping it gets ther alive when Xenia is notorius for not shipping well. Probably not worth it.