Anyone have luck trading frags for LFS credit?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by pgreef, Jan 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I wouldn't expect them to really.. especially xenia, GSP and most softies for that matter.

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

They said it as the same policy for anything, sps, lps, whatever. He said that there are exceptions if you have something that is rare. I have one more LFS to check if they will take frags, another place just went out of business. Another one that is about 15 miles away said they don't take frags either. Funny, I bought my Xenia frag from them originally. At the time the guy told me they have someone that brings them in. Must be preferred customers only. I don't fault the LFSs. A lot of them have a hard time staying open so I know its a tough business.

Where do you get insulated shipping containers and heat packs? Never done this before. I'd rather trade with people that want them. I can't get myself to throw them in the trash.

There have got to be some clubs around here somewhere. I'm in the far west Chicago suburbs.

4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I don't even know of a lfs that gives credit for trade ins... feel lucky if they will give you anything!

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Stores never pay the same price for something as they sell it for. If they did then they could not stay in business....they NEED to make profits. There is overhead, salaries, electricity etc. Plus they have to care for the fish/coral until they sell it. For xenia the best thing is to try to contact your local fish club. Xenia ships very poorly. I actually just gave a big bag full of waving hand anthelia to my LFS..not worth the hassel to try to sell it. Actually your local fish club will more then likely have frag swaps where you can sell your stuff at and make a profit. If not they can tell you where is a good place to sell it

6. yeager003

yeager003 Bristle Worm

one of my favorite lfs's that is under new ownership just started a program where, they will look up the average internet price for the coral frag you bring in and they will give you 25% less in store credit. It is a great program. I bought 4 frags that were locally grown for 20 dollars( In the cheapie area) they have exotics like darth maul palys for 40 a polyp. It is a great way to get more variety. I go by every few days to see what they have gotten.

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

my friend owns a ebay store and gives me everything for free. once it grows out i return it and keep whats grown onto my rockwork or plug i put next to it.....

Posted via Mobile Device:
    Mozilla/4.0 (PSP (PlayStation Portable); 2.00)

8. Click Here!

9. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm with bmshehan- My LFS does not give any credit-- "For your convenience" they will take them off your hands if you can't get rid of them. I agree they are in business to make money. but if it's a piece they know they can sell I don't see an issue especially when it's from folks like us that have likely spent thousands and thousands of dollars in their store.

10. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i get half of what they will sell it for. that is fine for me cause usually the coral/frags im selling is not to make money but to get it out of my tank. or i trade/sell direct with local reefers. except thats like selling anything i have this guy buying my toadstool supposed to come over and been saying he is coming for the past week.

11. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

Big Al's Canada accept trade for store credit on fish and corals. I've read in the store that you'll get 40-50%

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I took a video on my phone of about a dozen Red Sea Xenia frags that I have and brought it to a different LFS. I've bought several corals from them before but I didn't think they would be willing to give credit but I was wrong. They've been looking for a source of Red Sea Xenia for a while. The owner said he'd start with 10 rocks and if they did well he'd buy more. I brought them in and he was impressed they were still pulsing in the bag while closed up. We negotiated a price of $5 / rock. Most had two stalks. Some had 1 one had four. He handed me $50 cash. Well, guess what. I didn't leave with the cash. I left with a nice leather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He said to call him when I had more. Xenia farming is now in full swing.