anyone ever used melafix?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Scubagator87, Aug 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

how long did they stay closed for?

2. Click Here!

3. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

yea, i have a q tank...i just dont known if i can get my jawfish out without stressing him alot (hes very fast and a jumper), or removing alot of rock. Im afraid the stress might kill him. And since im not completely sure he has fin rot, i wasn't sure if i should give him the trouble. (which is why i thought maybe i could use the melafix and not have to take him out of the tank). still trying to decide though.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Just a thought. I would not underdose meds. Dose the correct amount. Some antibiotics are bacteriostatic, some are bacteriocidal. Which is Melafix? Don't know. But the dangers of underdosing are twofold. Bacteriostatic antibiotics inhibit the growth and/or reproduction of the bacteria. Bacteriocidal abx will flat out kill the bacteria. If you underdose, you are not effectively causing the demise of the offending organism in either case. There is an old saying, "What does not kill you makes you stronger". In the microscopic world, this is known as resistance. The little buggers will get used to the "fix" and beat it the next time around.

So, dose out your antibiotics and/or antifungals correctly. If you are not sure coral health, I would not use it. Calling the manufacturer is always an option. I do that if I have specific questions on meds that are not in the books, not in my brain or are off-label. They may beat around the bush a bit, but you will get the idea.

Just my two cents on that subject.

Peace.......John.

1 person likes this.
  5. {Nano}Reefer

wow :eek: , good info smarty ;D!!

K+ for ya on that one :)

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Not only am I smart, but incredibly good looking. The women swoon in my presence. Unable to break eye contact with me, they are held fixated by my charm and whit. Perfection can be yours too, if you try to be like me. Hehehe.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

......and then I woke up, realizing I had fallen asleep in the bandroom. I placed my pocket protector in it's place, put on my glasses with the tape between the eyes, and headed off to my Dungeons and Dragons meeting.

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

LOL, why not make a tutorial video on "a day in the life of a pimp"??? im sure EVERYONE on 3reef would looooooove to see that one buddy ;) haha

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Us other duds, er I mean studs, are still waiting for you......:p

11. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

ok so the manufacturer finally answered my online query and they say that melafix is safe for shrimp and promotes coral growth.

dont know if that means anything to anyone, but there it is

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I'd be worried with dosing any type of antiobiotic, including metro, directly into a reef tank. Your biological filtration is made up of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate converting bacteria... and your adding antibiotics... ... bactera.... antibiotics.... bacteria.... antibiotics...(get the idea?) You may just wipe out enough of your biological filtration system that you could end up with a seriously fatal ammonia spike due to a crushingly minimal level of ammonia converting bacteria left.

I also don't believe for a second that an antibiotic such as melafix can promote coral growth, but it definitely shouldn't hurt any type of non-microscopic organism