Anyone ever tried drilling a tempered tank?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by leighton1245, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Remember in the olden days when to get good sound we required 4 foot tall stereo racks to house pre-amps, equalizers, noise-conditioners, etc? I learned my lesson WELL with tempered glass when I accidentally broke the front glass for the rack. Your term described it well. What was it again? Oh yeah.....EXPLOSION!!!

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Its already broke so i dont see the waste of money lmao. i see an awesome experiment.

4. jbb_00

jbb_00 Skunk Shrimp

nothing fun ever happens when you have safety in mind... screw the safety glasses , turn on the video camera, and DRILL BABY DRILL !!

Also, if you could. Video in HD, injuries look cooler in HD and then you will have street cred.

1 person likes this.
  5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

LOL i dont think i will be using a drill as I think that will for sure be a epic fail but I will try a torch :) fire is always fun.

6. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I deff will be wearing safety glasses and maybe my body armor for extra added safety :) thanks to the army

Cause thats no fun and I already have a new 75 and dont want another tank unless its 200 gallon or larger 8)

Nobody thinks the torch idea is a good one? cause glass is tempered by heating it then cooling it very quickly so if you make it soft and plyable then that releases some of the pressure correct?

7. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

If you can successfully drill/torch a hole in tempered glass I will give you all props! haha I have yet to see anyone cut a nice hole in tempered glass unless it was at a glass shop.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Ahh, memories of those "rack" systems, LOL!

My best "EXPLOSION" was a glass top desk...it shattered from just a fast change in ambient temperature...sounded like a gun shot and threw glass over 12 feet across the room...thank goodness everyone had just left the room before it happened.

LOL! Most glass shops won't even touch tempered glass...I think there is a reason.

10. swffan

swffan Plankton

Please take some video when you do this

be safe

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I agree with everyone!! Video is a MUST!!!!!

Lol I remember back when I was younger, We used to throw rocks with a sling shot the left over pieces of tempered glass from this company close by our town! It was fun seeing the glass break into little pieces!

12. amdninjaboy

amdninjaboy Astrea Snail

When is the blue tipped wrench gonna make its appearance??