ANYONE EVER see fungia like this? Than tell me what kind it is!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kevin3884, Jan 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Unfortunately neither of those 2 pics show any skeleton.
    When it shows the skeleton, take a pic and post it here.

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

To get it to show skeleton take it out of the water for a minute, it will be fine.

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

It is flourishing where it is at, along with all of the zoas...i dont want to change that by moving it around just to prove a point...lol If it were a problem anemone...would it not be multiplying? It has a skeleton...i can tell by how hard it is once it shrivles up...

5. Kevin3884

Tried to get the best shots of the "skeletal" thing that the coral draws back into when disturbed... I circled the area in yellow

Attached Files:

6. Kevin3884

maybe to stop the "haters" i will just call it my "NeighborTom Anemone Zoanthid Fungia Plate"....cover all the basis...lol

7. mikeHVAC

mikeHVAC Spaghetti Worm

haha do it!

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I definitely won't lump myself in with the "haters" term. I can sort of see the skeleton in that first pic, but an out of water shot would clear this up.

Apparently one of our more knowledgeable people on my local forums says that these are a Vietnamese species of fungia that stem out a but more like a shroom, then pop off as described earlier in the thread. I hear that these are common on zooanthid colonies like the one your "mystery corals" are on.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I remember being touchy about moving corals etc. If it's flourishing moving it a little bit or pulling it out of the water for a bit will not hurt it one bit. Coral are more hardy than a lot of people give them credit for if they're healthy. :)

I honestly don't need to see the skeleton so I'm just adding this just FYI.

11. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i am NOT saying that is a majano or a aiptasia for sure but couldnt the zooxantae just move into the majano then make it look like that. i dont think it is an aiptasia or a majano but maybe that is what some people are thinking when they see it. i dont see a base, it just looks like some kind of freakin awesome nem from where the pics are.

12. Kevin3884

Still hasnt become free living...im really starting to wonder about this thing....maybe its not fungia...lol i have looked at a bunch of fungia's in the LFS's and they just dont look the same...