ANYONE EVER see fungia like this? Than tell me what kind it is!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kevin3884, Jan 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

its called a majono or majano anemone just get sum joes juice and that shoudl take care of it

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They read the threads as much as you do. Wait that's not true, their responses say they read even less. It's actually is starting to get pathetic to me.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Agreed on all points

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I guess the smoking gun will be a picture clearly showing the skeleton of the critter.

Until that is posted, you will probably keep seeing majano anemone ID's.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I had the same happen on a coral I bought and got the majano ID, but the rock I bought was an old fungia skeleton. Didn't know better and trusted my LFS not that that would helped with the ID as this thread shows.

7. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I just pissed it off again by poking it...this is it closing itself up (the pic that tom posted was when it was small enough to almost retract completely into the skeleton) now it is so big it cant retract ALL the way into its skeleton, but still goes in pretty far...in this pissed off state the entire edge of the "creature" is VERY hard like a skeleton... Also should be noted that the zoanthids it has been on and around are flourishing and multiplying...

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

If that is a majano, sign me up! LOL ;)

10. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

I did find your coral on wet web media and its ID is a fungiid.
    I appologize for the aiptasia ID and I was given poor information by a LFS that has been in the business almost his whole life.Again I am sorry and good luck with your pretty fungiid.
    Oh quit poking it. Nurture it!!
    Debate over..Positive ID
    k+++ neighbortom
    And sorry for being so stuborn

1 person likes this.
  11. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Yeh i decided to write them today to get a definite answer for you steve :) Glad everyone is in agreement that my NeighborTom Fungia is awesome...i will keep posting pics as it grows and stuff..

12. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

As said before, there's no reason to apologize at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, ans if that's what you were told, then that's what you were told. Theres no shame in being given the wrong advice. Who knows, the ones you saw may very well have been Majano that looked very similar. Or they could have been NeightborToms and the LFS owner either didnt know, or just wanted to keep them. Who knows? Maybe the LFS guy had been misinformed and was just passing on what he knew.
    Being stubborn is human nature, again theres no shame in it. Trust me, there have been people who are much more stubborn than you.
    Glad we can all be bestest fwends again :sweethear